News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

I'm getting a real sense of deja vu all over again reading about the Charlie Strong situation at Texas.  Just yesterday,  I saw this: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/is-there-an-internal-struggle-to-oust-charlie-strong/.  The comparison to Akers in the 80s is interesting, but the comparison to RichRod at Michigan is near-exact.

Of course, when it was down, Michigan never got to see OSU or ND self-destruct like A&M has.  That situation's gotta be some consolation to Longhorns fans.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on December 18, 2015, 08:58:00 PM
I'm getting a real sense of deja vu all over again reading about the Charlie Strong situation at Texas.  Just yesterday,  I saw this: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/is-there-an-internal-struggle-to-oust-charlie-strong/.  The comparison to Akers in the 80s is interesting, but the comparison to RichRod at Michigan is near-exact.

Of course, when it was down, Michigan never got to see OSU or ND self-destruct like A&M has.  That situation's gotta be some consolation to Longhorns fans.

I thought of Akers immediately. But then the whole plot turned out to possibly be hot air. Lots of rumors being reported as news down here.

But that is mostly UTs fault. The Soviet Union was more transparent, so rumors just fly and who can say what is true and what isn't?

However what is a consolation is that UT finally has a real Big 12 Offensive Staff and have 3 true freshman all Americans. The President and AD rallied to Strong (of course the extent that the people supposed to be in charge actually run things at UT is always a matter of speculation). Things seem to be looking up. Their #1 recruiting rival imploding has not hurt. Though damn if Jim Harbaugh has not been annoying us all by seeming to recruit everybody in the country. Fortunately Michigan's class seems close to full now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

The bowl games have started.  Sort of.  Alcorn State and NC A&T.  It's a new 1AA thing called the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl.  Hey, two 9 win teams. 

Anyway, the first 1A one is after this with Arizona - New Mexico.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2015, 12:07:00 AM
I thought of Akers immediately. But then the whole plot turned out to possibly be hot air. Lots of rumors being reported as news down here.

But that is mostly UTs fault. The Soviet Union was more transparent, so rumors just fly and who can say what is true and what isn't?

However what is a consolation is that UT finally has a real Big 12 Offensive Staff and have 3 true freshman all Americans. The President and AD rallied to Strong (of course the extent that the people supposed to be in charge actually run things at UT is always a matter of speculation). Things seem to be looking up. Their #1 recruiting rival imploding has not hurt. Though damn if Jim Harbaugh has not been annoying us all by seeming to recruit everybody in the country. Fortunately Michigan's class seems close to full now.

You seem a lot more confident about Strong than most observers.  I wouldn't take what the President and AD say too seriously -  they are saying the same things that Michigan's president and AD were saying a year before RR got canned. 

Texas recruiting, though, has been pretty horrendous by Texas standards. Even when not Harbaughed (and I think they'll be Harbaughed one more time), LSU and Ole Miss (plus the other Texas schools) are killing Texas for the top-level in-state recruits.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Utah is wracking up the points off turnovers 21-0 half way though the 1st quarter :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: katmai on December 19, 2015, 04:18:09 PM
Utah is wracking up the points off turnovers 21-0 half way though the 1st quarter :lol:
Wow Another pick 6 for Utes.

MadBurgerMaker

I just switched back from the New Mexico Bowl (which is actually competitive) in time to see another BYU turnover on a handoff.  That's 5 now in the first Q. 

katmai

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 19, 2015, 04:27:56 PM
I just switched back from the New Mexico Bowl (which is actually competitive) in time to see another BYU turnover on a handoff.  That's 5 now in the first Q.
Yep perfect 5 for 5. :lol:

katmai

What is record for points in a game? 35-0 with 4 mins left in 1st.

MadBurgerMaker

Damn that's brutal.  35-0 now. 

Musburger talking about drinking.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: katmai on December 19, 2015, 04:34:51 PM
What is record for points in a game? 35-0 with 4 mins left in 1st.

Looks like Georgia Tech dropped 222 on someone.  :lol:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on December 19, 2015, 01:31:16 PM
Texas recruiting, though, has been pretty horrendous by Texas standards. Even when not Harbaughed (and I think they'll be Harbaughed one more time), LSU and Ole Miss (plus the other Texas schools) are killing Texas for the top-level in-state recruits.

Not really. This is just how Strong recruits. We were in the same boat last year and ended up with the #10 class. We shall see. I mean we did go 5-7 and all. None of the people who cover UT recruiting closely are very concerned.

QuoteYou seem a lot more confident about Strong than most observers.  I wouldn't take what the President and AD say too seriously -  they are saying the same things that Michigan's president and AD were saying a year before RR got canned.

It is rather simply grumbler. If he doesn't have a good season next year he is gone. I just think he will.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Hey BYU made a game of it but couldn't come all the way back. 

grumbler

A little bit of EDSBS http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2015/12/23/10644796/jim-harbaugh-has-gifts-for-you

Quote[December 29th]

JIM: Okay, I've listened to your complaints, and I assure you, no more birds today.

SARAH [cautiously]: what's the trick

JIM: open the box!

SARAH: oh, five golden rings! Jim, this is lovely, I'm so-

JIM [grabs box, hurls it into pond]: RINGS ARE EARNED ON THE FIELD, NOW LET'S RUN STAIRS

[December 31st]

SARAH [getting ready to go to a party] [looks out window]: are those swans swimming in our pond new?

JIM [pretending not to hear, focused on Castlevania on his Game Boy]

SARAH: I will divorce you if you get any more birds, Jim

JIM: look I bought all of the birds at once, my bird guy sells in bulk

SARAH: why do you have a bird guy

JIM [throws Game Boy against wall, storms out]: BECAUSE BO HAD A BIRD GUY

[January 1st]

JIM: Okay, I'm really done with birds.

SARAH: Our house is covered in shit, Jim. Two of the swans got into my car. Have you seen what a swan can do to the inside of a car?

JIM: Of course I have. I respect their energy. Now let's start the new year on a better note. [offers large glass of milk] It's like natural steroids!

SARAH: [peering over Jim's shoulder at eight milkmaids in the kitchen] Dammit, Jim they sell milk at the store! We don't need to run a dairy farm. And aren't you coaching a bowl today?

JIM: I trained the geese to coach in my place, I'm really focused on this gift-giving season.

Editor's note: The geese held Florida to 112 offensive yards in a 17-10 victory.

[January 2nd]

[they're both just staring, arms crossed, as nine ladies dance around their living room]

JIM: I- I'm sorry, I don't even know where I was going with this one...

Bayraktar!