And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2015

Started by derspiess, April 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: sbr on May 06, 2015, 05:53:06 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2015, 04:47:51 PM
So I've been mulling over the Franchise Four for the Cardinals and some other teams.

For the Cards I voted for Musial & Gibson (both no-brainers) and then figured I had to vote for Hornsby due to his lifetime BA.  Agonized over my last choice.  My heart was with Ozzie but I couldn't leave Pujols out with the numbers he put up.  After I put my vote in I checked the all-time WAR for Cards players.  The top 4 are Musial, Hornsby, Gibby & Pujols, with Ozzie ranked fifth.

For the Reds I voted Rose, Larkin, Frank Robinson, and Bench.  Checked the WAR and bam, nailed it again.

Gonna try to get through every team and see how close I get.

Hornsby played too long ago to be real.  I would put Ozzie in for him.

That's not the problem I have with Hornsby.  My problem with him is that he wasn't a very good second baseman.  He was a heck of a hitter, but he should have been shifted to a less demanding defensive position.  Plus, he was a grade-A ass. 

Still, he was such a great hitter that I'm not sure I'd put Ozzie ahead of him.

sbr

Quote from: dps on May 06, 2015, 06:28:59 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2015, 04:47:51 PM
So I've been mulling over the Franchise Four for the Cardinals and some other teams.

For the Cards I voted for Musial & Gibson (both no-brainers) and then figured I had to vote for Hornsby due to his lifetime BA.  Agonized over my last choice.  My heart was with Ozzie but I couldn't leave Pujols out with the numbers he put up.  After I put my vote in I checked the all-time WAR for Cards players.  The top 4 are Musial, Hornsby, Gibby & Pujols, with Ozzie ranked fifth.

For the Reds I voted Rose, Larkin, Frank Robinson, and Bench.  Checked the WAR and bam, nailed it again.

Gonna try to get through every team and see how close I get.

That's not the problem I have with Hornsby.  My problem with him is that he wasn't a very good second baseman.  He was a heck of a hitter, but he should have been shifted to a less demanding defensive position.  Plus, he was a grade-A ass. 

Still, he was such a great hitter that I'm not sure I'd put Ozzie ahead of him.

I never saw him play so I can't comment on his defense. or how much of an ass he might have been.

And what position is less demanding than second base?

katmai

Mathewson, Mays, Bonds, Posey
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on May 06, 2015, 08:08:41 PM
And what position is less demanding than second base?

Right and first.

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 06, 2015, 05:21:10 PM
Pepper Martin, Whitey Kurowski, Bob Forsch, and  Ray Lankford

:lol:  I loved Lank back in the day.

His lifetime BA is just too great to keep him off, and bonus points for that .424 year.  And in *no way* am I biased because I used to tear up Micro League using his 1924 year stats on the NL Greatest team.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2015, 08:14:42 PM

Mays, Mathewson, McCovey, Ott.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

The choices for the expansion teams are a joke.  Yankees is a tough one, though.  I went with Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle & Jeter.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 06, 2015, 02:09:10 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2015, 11:16:11 PM
Braves blow an 8 run lead. Against the Nationals. With Dan Uggla (who blew for the Braves the past couple years) hitting a 3 run 9th inning homer for the Nats to give them the lead.

That's what I call winning uggla

Move aside "2 girls 1 cup". Something even more horrible has been posted on the internet.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2015, 09:43:12 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2015, 08:14:42 PM

Mays, Mathewson, McCovey, Ott.

There's gotta be half a dozen other guys in Giants history who'd rank ahead of McCovey.  Don't get me wrong, McCovey was great, but the Giants have had a lot of great players.  I'd go with your other 3 and either Roger Connor or Juan Marichal.  Have to think on that one a bit.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2015, 10:03:16 PM
The choices for the expansion teams are a joke.  Yankees is a tough one, though.  I went with Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle & Jeter.

Jeter over DiMaggio? LOLZ?

The only modern player who I would consider is Rivera.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

This changes depending if you count the St. Louis Browns as Orioles.

If you do then Sisler, Brooks Robinson, Palmer, and Ripken. If you don't plug in Murray for Sisler.

I went to the Website and they have no Browns....so I guess I vote Murray, Ripken, Brooks Robinson, and Palmer. I really really want to vote for Frank because he is one of my personal favs but he only played for Baltimore for a short time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

I noticed Frank is also listed for the Reds. Maybe I should have voted for him so he could be the MVP in both leagues again  :P

If you vote Nats you are actually voting for the greatest Expos. Also I don't think Frank Howard ever played for the Rangers, only for the Second Senators. Warren Spahn never pitched an inning in Atlanta. Seems kind of arbitrary what they do for the teams that moved.

Valmy

I am kind of a Negro League buff so I voted for Gibson, Paige, Buck Leonard, and Oscar Charleston.

There is also a weird category for old guys who played for teams that no longer exist. Went with Keeler, Sisler, Grover Cleveland Alexander 'Slayer of the Yankees', and Cap 'I am a fucking racist even by the standards of my time' Anson. Seriously fuck Cap Anson...damn great ballplayer though.

Huh. Why was Alexander here and not with the Cubs, Phillies, or Cardinals? I don't get this category at all.

The Minsky Moment

Baltimore hmm tough one - too many good 70s/80s choices but slim pickins after.

How bout

Boog Powell, Ken Singleton, Mike Flanagan, Brady Anderson
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2015, 10:03:16 PM
Yankees is a tough one, though.

Lefty Gomez, King Kong Keller, Gil McDougald, Ron Guidry.

Crap, no room for Bernie.  Yankees are tough.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson