Jeremy Clarkson’s Top Gear contract will not be renewed

Started by grumbler, March 25, 2015, 07:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2015, 03:48:12 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2015, 12:52:06 PM
A "young and attractive" woman host is "unfortunate?"  :huh:

A classic "mongers moment."  :lol:

Grumbler trolling, really I should be flattered by the way he follows me from thread to thread, but I can understand how some women he's know would have found that disquieting. These posts of his are worthwhile as they revels the quality of the man.

A big plus is they waste ever more of his limited remaining life span, time he might otherwise used to post snide, rude or offensive comments targeting vulnerable members of our community; so by all means please do carry on stalking posting these comments.
All I have to do is cut and paste this reply, say 10 seconds efforts vs however long you burn up in constructing these little efforts, which are less to do with the topic at hand and more about showing your true character.  :cool:

And mongers, not satisfied to note that youth and attractiveness is unfortunate, earns himself a Carmen Miranda Award by  dancing the Flamenco on his own crank!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2015, 04:00:23 PM

Grumbler trolling, really I should be flattered by the way he follows me from thread to thread, but I can understand how some women he's know would have found that disquieting. These posts of his are worthwhile as they revels the quality of the man.

A big plus is they waste ever more of his limited remaining life span, time he might otherwise used to post snide, rude or offensive comments targeting vulnerable members of our community; so by all means please do carry on stalking posting these comments.
All I have to do is cut and paste this reply, say 10 seconds efforts vs however long you burn up in constructing these little efforts, which are less to do with the topic at hand and more about showing your true character.  :cool:

And mongers, not satisfied to note that youth and attractiveness is unfortunate, earns himself a Carmen Miranda Award by  dancing the Flamenco on his own crank!  :lol:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2015, 04:05:56 PM

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2015, 04:10:57 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2015, 04:05:56 PM

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 07:48:36 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2015, 07:36:58 PM
Quote from: Gups on March 25, 2015, 12:39:52 PM
Re-launch with Alan Patridge hosting would be amazing.
Sweet Jesus, yes.

Isn't that a fictional character? :hmm:
Jeremy Clarkson could easily have been as well.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

I just found out a few minutes ago that Top Gear is a car show.

mongers

Sweet Jesus, yes.

It could could work, if we assume Top Gear was increasingly sending itself up over recent years.

But I think it might also work it Coogan was himself, as he's both a 'petrol-head' (horrible expression), but also funny/sardonic enough out of character to be a good front-man/presenter.   :)

Weirdly, if Wiki is to be believed, Steve Coogan's younger brother was once a Top Gear Presenter, having taken over from Clarkson in 1999, but he left/was sacked because of a drink-driving conviction. :blink:

mongers

Quote from: Liep on March 25, 2015, 07:52:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 07:48:36 PM
Sweet Jesus, yes.

Isn't that a fictional character? :hmm:
Jeremy Clarkson could easily have been as well.

Perhaps he was and Clarkson's 'downfall' came because he ended up believing it was real too.  :P

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2015, 10:17:34 AM
Quote from: Norgy on March 25, 2015, 10:06:11 AM
I like Clarkson, because he offers strong opinion. Most of which I vehemently disagree with. Taking him off screen will just make him a marthyr for the junk right.

Taking him off the air also makes it possible to afford your insurance.  Allow a known criminal (yes, assault is criminal, even i charges are not pursued) to escape sacking after he attcks one of your own employees, and you've lost any claim for compensation the next time he loses control and really hurts someone.  Sacking him was, i think, unavoidable.

I agree that it is contrary nature that makes him so appealing as a presenter.  You're never quite sure what he will say, ad he is brilliant (mostly) with his little ad libs.  I never felt that they were ever truly mean-spirited.

Can't argue against you there.
And I retract my position after getting more factual information. You don't hit colleagues. It's not just bad form, it's assault in most places.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: celedhring on March 25, 2015, 03:46:09 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2015, 03:44:52 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 25, 2015, 03:41:57 PM
I once was an expert witness in a plagiarism trial regarding a children TV program. The plaintiff lost - on one hand it was painfully obvious they had ripped off her work, but on the other hand it's not like she created something so unmistakably unique as to merit protection by itself.
:hmm: Did you just plagiarize this off the Germanwings thread?

This version has one sentence that's different, so I'm scot free.

Scotland gets no love again...

Norgy

Scotland is a shithole.
It's a place where they take the politics of Northern Ireland, mix it with "fitba" and women have G-cup bras not because they are sexy, but because they have deep-fried everything.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom