Fear of Modernity and Technology Is Fueling a Return to Medievalism

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2015, 07:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2015, 10:41:22 PM
The medieval period was OK, if you don't place a very high value on life expectancy, literacy and sanitation.

It's not like the periods immediately prior or after were much better.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 23, 2015, 10:42:36 PM
It was probably good to be the king.

Ed would likely be invoking prima nocta all over the place.

Just imagine my Crusader Kings II character page. BASTARDS EVERYWHERE
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2015, 11:25:41 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2015, 10:41:22 PM
The medieval period was OK, if you don't place a very high value on life expectancy, literacy and sanitation.

It's not like the periods immediately prior or after were much better.

"What have the Romans ever done for us?".  :)

Life expectancy wasn't hugely improved in early modern western Europe but literacy was.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson