Fear of Modernity and Technology Is Fueling a Return to Medievalism

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2015, 07:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I live in a state with advanced Castle Doctrine jurisprudence.  I could shoot them in the parking lot.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

They will probably shoot themselves in the foot when they drop their weapons anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Siege on March 23, 2015, 01:27:51 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 19, 2015, 07:16:09 PM
I would feed you 1000 calories a day.

You need 1500 to be combat effective.

Ide will be in a labor battalion. Plenty more to replace him.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

The medieval period was OK, if you don't place a very high value on life expectancy, literacy and sanitation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

It was probably good to be the king.

Ed would likely be invoking prima nocta all over the place.

Eddie Teach

You could have all the stinky, hairy pussy and locally grown delicacies you desired. OTOH, no climate control and the streets smelled like India.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

I imagine the people at the time were desensitized to the stink.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 23, 2015, 10:42:36 PM
It was probably good to be the king.

A decent middle class person in the West has a higher living standard in most respects,

Someone _ I think it was Daniel Walker Howe _ made the argument that as late as the early-mid 19th centuries one the disadvantages of being rich and powerful was that you could afford the best doctors and medical care available.  Which was a big negative as the treatments tended to be both painful and more likely to kill than doing nothing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Hmm, probably true.

It was good to be a rich Jewish merchant in service to the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire?

Valmy

The Ottoman Empire is not really medieval. Well ok I guess its early stages were but there was a lack of rich merchants at that point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2015, 10:54:36 PM
The Ottoman Empire is not really medieval. Well ok I guess its early stages were but there was a lack of rich merchants at that point.

Call it a failed attempt at tying in an idea from the belief that medieval Islamic medicinal practice was far in advance of Europe.

It was good to be some middle eastern sultan?  (plus Christian guilt-free harems!)