Affordable Care Act Is Costing 29% Less Than Projected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 17, 2015, 12:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2015, 06:47:04 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 19, 2015, 06:36:09 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 19, 2015, 09:47:36 AM
It still blaffes me that the goverment can force the american people to buy something.

Like automobile insurance.  :mad:

Pretty mean forcing people without cars to get automobile insurance.

Yet it's okay to force people without health to get health insurance?!?!?!

Maximus

Quote from: viper37 on March 20, 2015, 12:36:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 19, 2015, 07:20:04 PM
Of course, car insurance will become a moot point in like ten years.
You get insurance for your house, yet it is not moving.  Why wouldn't you need car insurance for a self driving car?
It's quite likely that once self-driving cars are ubiquitous, private ownership of cars will no longer make sense for most people. I've seen projections that it cuts the number of cars on the road by 90%.

Eddie Teach

I'm sure owning your own car will still be cheaper than renting a private car for people who drive to work everyday.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on March 20, 2015, 03:04:52 PM
I'm not.

I don't see how renting it out midday, nights or weekends can compensate for administrative costs.  Plus the commuter will want a car some of those times too.

Eddie Teach

You don't own a car now, do you?

Besides getting you places, they also serve as a mobile storage space. I don't see private ownership going away anytime soon. It would be too radical a change for many people.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2015, 03:06:57 PM
Quote from: Maximus on March 20, 2015, 03:04:52 PM
I'm not.

I don't see how renting it out midday, nights or weekends can compensate for administrative costs.  Plus the commuter will want a car some of those times too.
In my opinion, the future of self-driving cars is in self-driving mass transit.  Personal use cars as we know them are an efficient solution only when you need someone to drive them.  It would be more efficient if you could call up self-driving vans with an Uber-like app when you need a lift.

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on March 20, 2015, 03:12:24 PM
In my opinion, the future of self-driving cars is in self-driving mass transit.  Personal use cars as we know them are an efficient solution only when you need someone to drive them.  It would be more efficient if you could call up self-driving vans with an Uber-like app when you need a lift.
Yes. The argument is not mine --I'll see if I can find it-- but it was predicated on a network of robotic taxis with something like a 3-minute response time. I could see that being supplemented by route-sharing buses.

Tonitrus

[Ide] By the time we get viable self-driving buses/taxis/long-haul cargo trucks, we'll also need self-driving killer robots to mow down all of the excess, unemployed proles. [/Ide]

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2015, 06:47:04 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 19, 2015, 06:36:09 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 19, 2015, 09:47:36 AM
It still blaffes me that the goverment can force the american people to buy something.

Like automobile insurance.  :mad:

Pretty mean forcing people without cars to get automobile insurance.

Well, people without pulse or other signs of life are not forced to buy health insurance either.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2015, 12:41:24 PM
Yes.  Something like 99% of accidents are caused by human error.  If you eliminate that error I imagine it would profoundly change the nature of automobile insurance.

I can see you say something like this when, in 20 years, you unveil your jury-judge-and-executioner robot, Barrister 2040, to eliminate the human error in law enforcement. :D

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on March 20, 2015, 12:36:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 19, 2015, 07:20:04 PM
Of course, car insurance will become a moot point in like ten years.
You get insurance for your house, yet it is not moving.  Why wouldn't you need car insurance for a self driving car?
I can be stolen, it can be vandalized, you can have an accident even if it's self driving (not all accidents are caused by reckless driver behaviour), you can be hit by something (a block of concrete falling from an overpass), etc, etc,

Also, if the system ever goes wrong and you hit something/someone, who's taking care of the indemnity if you are uninsured.

I don't think car insurance against theft or vandalisation is the type you are required to buy, though.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2015, 10:23:39 AM
That's nice, although I would point out that just because something ends up costing less than first anticipated on paper is not irrefutable proof that it is efficient.

It is, when the costs anticipated on paper were already expected to be lower than the previous model - and opponents claimed such anticipated costs were vastly underestimated.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2015, 01:23:52 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 20, 2015, 12:41:24 PM
Yes.  Something like 99% of accidents are caused by human error.  If you eliminate that error I imagine it would profoundly change the nature of automobile insurance.

I can see you say something like this when, in 20 years, you unveil your jury-judge-and-executioner robot, Barrister 2040, to eliminate the human error in law enforcement. :D

It's a very boring robot. It executes you by droning on about curling.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

Quote from: Maximus on March 20, 2015, 03:00:14 PM
It's quite likely that once self-driving cars are ubiquitous, private ownership of cars will no longer make sense for most people. I've seen projections that it cuts the number of cars on the road by 90%.
90% seems a lot as that will cut into availability of cars during rush hours etc. But even a 50% reduction would be a huge change and is more likely to happen.