News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Dress Megathread

Started by Syt, February 27, 2015, 06:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Apparently there's a heated internet discussion about whether this dress is black/blue or gold/white.

I see it Gold/White.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

The dress is actually blue and black.  That shot is heavily overexposed or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Liep

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, did you just edit that post?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

I could swear it was white and gold, then i googled and found the dress in better lighting and now i can only see it as black and blue
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on February 27, 2015, 06:59:13 AM
The dress is actually blue and black.  That shot is heavily overexposed or something.

Yes but I think whoever sees the picture as blue and black or close to it needs to fucking stop using a near pitch-black monitor

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2015, 07:02:48 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 27, 2015, 06:59:13 AM

Yes but I think whoever sees the picture as blue and black or close to it needs to fucking stop using a near pitch-black monitor

That has nothing to do with it. I use a dark monitor & I see it has white & gold.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

That actually freaked me out a bit, but apparently it's the brain playing tricks as usual. It has to do with what light setting you perceive there is, if like me you thought it was back lighting and that the colours was underplayed you would see white and gold, but when you know it's really heavy lighting it clearly becomes black and blue.

CountDeMoney

Syt

Quote from: Liep on February 27, 2015, 07:07:18 AM
That actually freaked me out a bit, but apparently it's the brain playing tricks as usual. It has to do with what light setting you perceive there is, if like me you thought it was back lighting and that the colours was underplayed you would see white and gold, but when you know it's really heavy lighting it clearly becomes black and blue.

So yeah, I was getting kinda frustrated that I couldn't will myself to see it blue/black, even though I understand that those are the correct colors.

I've now looked at a few articles, including ones where they balanced the picture to show the real colors clearly, and now the original pictures suddenly are clearly bleached blue/black. :wacko:

(Though looking at it longer it fades back to white/gold. I'm never again giving Ancient Greeks for distinguishing colors by light vs. dark rather than hue and having one word that might mean dark blue/dark green/brown/black/... and others that might mean light blue/light green/yellow/...).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

I am tired of hearing about that stupid dress.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 27, 2015, 09:51:23 AM

End of Western civilization as we know it? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

Quote from: mongers on February 27, 2015, 09:54:40 AM

I guess I just have more important things in life to worry about.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 27, 2015, 09:57:15 AM

No Lusti, I was agreeing with you. :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

Quote from: mongers on February 27, 2015, 10:20:55 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 27, 2015, 09:57:15 AM

No Lusti, I was agreeing with you. :)

Yes, I know. And Western Civilization has ended as we know it anyway, see: reality TV.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom