Example #422369 why marriage is not just a private contract issue

Started by Martinus, June 17, 2009, 03:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2009, 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 17, 2009, 03:11:39 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2009, 02:45:10 PM
The issue is that he would then be able to marry her.  :rolleyes:

Not unless Mexican law permits same sex marriage.
Is this some joke I am not getting? Because normally you have shown an ability to read and understand posts.  :huh:

I think the point is that this person would be forced to leave whether they were married or not, as they entered illegally.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 17, 2009, 03:48:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2009, 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 17, 2009, 03:11:39 PM

Not unless Mexican law permits same sex marriage.
Is this some joke I am not getting? Because normally you have shown an ability to read and understand posts.  :huh:

I think the point is that this person would be forced to leave whether they were married or not, as they entered illegally.

What does the question whether "Mexican law permits same sex marriage" have to do with an American guy marrying a female Mexican illegal immigrant and its bearing on her right to stay in the US as a result of this?

Ok, maybe I am the retarded one here, but I can't see the link.  :huh:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2009, 03:50:57 PM
What does the question whether "Mexican law permits same sex marriage" have to do with an American guy marrying a female Mexican illegal immigrant and its bearing on her right to stay in the US as a result of this?

Ok, maybe I am the retarded one here, but I can't see the link.  :huh:

Martinus:  An American guy would not be able to marry a female Mexican illegal immigrant and have her be allowed to stay in the US.  The fraud in entering the US illegally bars a potential immigrant from getting any sort of legal entry into the US (barring the occasional amnesty program).

ulmont

Quote from: ulmont on June 17, 2009, 10:02:47 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2009, 09:50:35 AM
Don't fall in love with illegal immigrants?

Yeah, that does seem to be the real issue here; even if the illegal was female, she'd never get a visa legally after that (fraud in coming to America once generally making you inadmissible).

Sure, if he moved to Mexico.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: ulmont on June 17, 2009, 04:02:40 PM
Martinus:  An American guy would not be able to marry a female Mexican illegal immigrant and have her be allowed to stay in the US.  The fraud in entering the US illegally bars a potential immigrant from getting any sort of legal entry into the US (barring the occasional amnesty program).
You guys sure about this?  Marriage to beat deportation is a Hollywood staple.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 17, 2009, 04:06:48 PM

Hollywood is so grounded in reality :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 17, 2009, 04:06:48 PM

Yes.  INS will even investigate fraudulent marriages.  See here: http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases/articles/070108tacoma.htm and check this out about people being deported after illegally entering on a tourist visa and getting married: http://www.fianceevisas.com/fiancee-visa.html

C.C.R.

QuoteThe years with Lown as our mayor have been our salad days

Or, alternatively, San Angelo's "Tossed Salad" days...