News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neat Net Neutrality News

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2015, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

There are no options for consumers. It's all Verizon and Comcast controlled.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 27, 2015, 07:45:10 AM
even the smaller competitors use the big guys infrastructure. It'd be easy enough to ramp down their speeds without net neutrality.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2015, 07:24:18 AM

That would be a valid point if we were seeing increasing monopolization versus decreasing.  There are more options for consumers now than ever before, and options will only increase as technology matures.  Regulating dinosaur speed is only going to make them less competitive with the mammals.

I guess my point is that regulation shouldn't be undertaken just because it can be.  Sure, it may be necessary, but the default assumption should be against government interference unless it can be shown to be necessary, rather than in favor of it unless it can be shown to be unnecessary.

The bureaucracy must expand to meet the continuing demands of the bureaucracy...  :bowler:

grumbler

That's the result of regulation. And now you want more regulation.  Good luck with that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2015, 08:19:11 AM
even the smaller competitors use the big guys infrastructure. It'd be easy enough to ramp down their speeds without net neutrality.
wich was happening in Canada, with Bell, a few years ago.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2015, 03:42:48 PM

That's the result of regulation. And now you want more regulation.  Good luck with that.
There are over 300 pages of regulations that have been kept secret. Have those details been released yet?

FCC commissioner Wheeler was supposed to testify to Congress the day before the vote on the new regs, but he refused.
I don't know if these regs we know about are good or bad ideas, but I don't think I like the secrecy behind some of this. They've released some parts that appeal to people but what are the rest of the regs?

dps

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2015, 07:24:18 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2015, 01:53:32 AM
Then again, there is also an argument that addressing a problem before it has a chance to become entrenched, distort the market and lead to serious consequences for its actors (both content providers and consumers) is better.

Yes, that's the argument I mentioned in my post.

QuoteIt's not like monopolisation patterns are something that cannot be predicted by the economic theory - they work pretty much the same way in every "access to network" monopoly/oligopoly.

That would be a valid point if we were seeing increasing monopolization versus decreasing.  There are more options for consumers now than ever before, and options will only increase as technology matures.  Regulating dinosaur speed is only going to make them less competitive with the mammals.

I guess my point is that regulation shouldn't be undertaken just because it can be.  Sure, it may be necessary, but the default assumption should be against government interference unless it can be shown to be necessary, rather than in favor of it unless it can be shown to be unnecessary.

The Europeans tend not to understand that.

EDIT:  Heck, we're bad enough about it ourselves.

Grey Fox

Well, yes. Only regulation can stop them from destroying the dream.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 28, 2015, 07:41:28 PM

Well, yes. Only regulation can stop them from destroying the dream.
The dream of having no choice?  That's a dream worth destroying.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

You already have no choice, I don't see how letting them also dictate which websites you can visit is giving you MORE choice.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 01, 2015, 09:49:13 PM
You already have no choice, I don't see how letting them also dictate which websites you can visit is giving you MORE choice.

I have choice.  We're talking about you, here.  What company dictates which websites you can visit, and how do they let you know?

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

You don't. Myself, no company is, Canada has strong net neutrality regulation.

Siege

Who is dictating what websites I can visit?
The ISPs? I have not heard of any ISP blocking content.
This sounds like an strawman designed to allow the goverment dictate what websites we can visit.
Now the goverment will have the tools to block content.
You don't believe in climate change? You are blocked mothefukar!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2015, 04:43:56 PM
My main objection is to increasing regulations to solve a problem that doesn't exist.  One can argue that the problem will inevitably arise if the regulations are not imposed, but then one has the burden to demonstrate that this is, indeed, true.  Regulations have costs (including unforeseen consequences) and should be avoided except where necessary.

Your main objection is ideological.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on March 02, 2015, 06:43:41 AM

I have choice.  We're talking about you, here.  What company dictates which websites you can visit, and how do they let you know?
A while ago in Canada, Bell, a major ISP, was throttling the speed for Bittorrent applications.  It was also throttling the speed for ISPs renting their lines.

With a net neutrality ruling, Bell has to provide full service for its customers, all its customers.  If it advertise speeds of X mbit/s, it can't be X/4 for some content or some customers.

So, yes, sometimes, regulations are necessary to ensure free market.  The companies build their land and cellphone network via a protected monopoly for a while, wich they used to establish themselves as dominant players once it was deregulated.  We could discuss the legitimacy of establishing regional monopolies at first, but that's irrelevant to what must be done now to ensure a free market.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.