News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neat Net Neutrality News

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2015, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Everyone should watch that show.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2015, 06:12:11 PM
There's been some cases where meth labs have been uncovered over here. Almost every news article contains the phrase "Crystal meth - as known from the TV show Breaking Bad." :lol:

I remember when every TV news story about a small Swedish town featured the Twin Peaks music. No matter how inappropriate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

The FCC is about the save the internet once again. Will this 3rd time be the last time?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Siege

I hear that if high speed lanes are not allowed it will reduce the investment in new tech to speed up the internet as a whole.
Also, something about the high investment required to make new lines.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Grey Fox

That's always the threat. I say it's bullshit but I am willing to take the chance.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on February 12, 2015, 01:04:11 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2015, 06:12:11 PM
There's been some cases where meth labs have been uncovered over here. Almost every news article contains the phrase "Crystal meth - as known from the TV show Breaking Bad." :lol:

Should I watch that show?
BB is an awesome show.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Siege on February 26, 2015, 11:52:54 AM
I hear that if high speed lanes are not allowed it will reduce the investment in new tech to speed up the internet as a whole.

Because it might cut their profit margin from 97% (real number, calculated, based on public P&L statement) to something like maybe 93% (number pulled from my ass).

It's not exactly asking ISPs to bend over and take it.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

I am skeptical of that profit margin number.

grumbler

My main objection is to increasing regulations to solve a problem that doesn't exist.  One can argue that the problem will inevitably arise if the regulations are not imposed, but then one has the burden to demonstrate that this is, indeed, true.  Regulations have costs (including unforeseen consequences) and should be avoided except where necessary.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Anyway the FCC just voted for Net Neutrality.  So freedom!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

We've heard that in Canada when we deregulated the long distance call market.  I'm still waiting for doomsday, it's been 25 years now, and I'm paying 3,5cents/min instead of 35cents/min.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 26, 2015, 08:54:33 PM
We've heard that in Canada when we deregulated the long distance call market.  I'm still waiting for doomsday, it's been 25 years now, and I'm paying 3,5cents/min instead of 35cents/min.

yeah.  That's why it is peculiar that people are calling for more regulation on the internet, when deregulation worked so well on the rest of telecoms.  Maybe they liked the regulated regime for non-cost reasons?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Then again, there is also an argument that addressing a problem before it has a chance to become entrenched, distort the market and lead to serious consequences for its actors (both content providers and consumers) is better.

It's not like monopolisation patterns are something that cannot be predicted by the economic theory - they work pretty much the same way in every "access to network" monopoly/oligopoly.

frunk

If you take a longer view the paths of the internet and telephony are pretty similar.  When telephones were first created a mess of different systems were created, until gradually increasing popularity (and desire of easy interconnection) forced standardization and integration.    The phone system went further into over-regulation/monopoly problems.  The internet isn't even close to that situation yet, but then it is a hundred years younger.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2015, 01:53:32 AM
Then again, there is also an argument that addressing a problem before it has a chance to become entrenched, distort the market and lead to serious consequences for its actors (both content providers and consumers) is better.

Yes, that's the argument I mentioned in my post.

QuoteIt's not like monopolisation patterns are something that cannot be predicted by the economic theory - they work pretty much the same way in every "access to network" monopoly/oligopoly.

That would be a valid point if we were seeing increasing monopolization versus decreasing.  There are more options for consumers now than ever before, and options will only increase as technology matures.  Regulating dinosaur speed is only going to make them less competitive with the mammals.

I guess my point is that regulation shouldn't be undertaken just because it can be.  Sure, it may be necessary, but the default assumption should be against government interference unless it can be shown to be necessary, rather than in favor of it unless it can be shown to be unnecessary.

Bayraktar!