And we're back!

Main Menu

Neat Net Neutrality News

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2015, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Barrister on March 02, 2015, 04:32:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2015, 01:58:53 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, virtually everyone has a choice of getting internet through the phone line or the cable line.  So not a monopoly.

You're right.

Actually it doesn't really make sense to call them a "phone line" and a "cable line" anymore.  I can get a complete bundle of phone/tv/internet from either service provider.  The fact that one originally started as a phone company, and the other started as a cable company, is merely a part of the historical record at this point.

But then what we have is a duopoly.  The competitive spirit between the two of them doesn't seem terribly high from this one customer's perspective.

Price fixing is what happens when a market is dominated by a company.
Has anyone come with an equation to project price fixing?

[Research Question]
What percentage of a market has to be controlled by one company for price fixing and price immitation to occur?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on March 03, 2015, 04:24:29 PM
Price fixing is what happens when a market is dominated by a company.
Has anyone come with an equation to project price fixing?

[Research Question]
What percentage of a market has to be controlled by one company for price fixing and price immitation to occur?

See:
http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/guidelines/hhi.html

:)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

There are a lot of strong views about NN but it seems to me a very complicated and fact-dependent and intensive issue.  It does seem to me a priori that a NN rule might inhibit efficient bargaining.  The competition concerns seem rather inchoate but the problem is that in the absence of a NN it might be difficult to monitor impact.  Really not sure how I come out on this one.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Wonder how many years this will be in the court?

http://www.cnet.com/news/fccs-net-neutrality-rules-hit-federal-register-lawsuit-underway/

QuoteNet neutrality rules get published -- let the lawsuits begin

Now that the FCC's new rules have been published in the Federal Register, a 60-day clock has started for them to take effect. That is, unless USTelecom can stop that.

by  Don Reisinger 

@donreisinger 
/April 13, 2015 1:52 PM PDT

The Federal Communications Commission's rules for a free and open Internet were published Monday in the Federal Register, putting them one step closer to reality -- and officially subject to lawsuits.

The publication of the 400-page Net neutrality order in the federal government's journal of regulations starts a 60-day clock before it takes effect (on June 12). But it also means companies can officially take the FCC to court over the rules. And they didn't waste any time.

Under the new rules -- approved by the FCC in February and then released to the public in March -- Internet service providers like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast are not allowed to block lawful content, slow down applications or services, or accept fees for favored treatment. The rules essentially provide a framework for all Internet traffic to be treated equally. To do so, the FCC has reclassified broadband in a way that places providers under the same strict regulations that now govern telephone networks.

That reclassification hasn't gone down well with broadband providers, who say it could give the FCC authority to set rates and impose tariffs that could translate into higher fees to consumers, stifle innovation and discourage companies from building new broadband networks and improving existing ones.

USTelecom, a consortium of ISPs, had announced after the new rules were approved that it would file an injunction against them, arguing that they are "arbitrary, capricious and an abuse of discretion," and violate federal law. Just minutes after the rules were published Monday in the Federal Register, USTelecom filed its suit.

If a court decides USTelecom's suit holds water, it could block the rules from taking effect, resulting in a protracted legal mess. Other lawsuits are also expected to be filed in the coming weeks.

The FCC, for its part, is keeping a confident face: "As Chairman Wheeler has said, we are confident the FCC's new Open Internet rules will be upheld by the courts, ensuring enforceable protections for consumers and innovators online," an agency spokeswoman said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 04, 2015, 12:33:28 PM
There are a lot of strong views about NN but it seems to me a very complicated and fact-dependent and intensive issue.  It does seem to me a priori that a NN rule might inhibit efficient bargaining.  The competition concerns seem rather inchoate but the problem is that in the absence of a NN it might be difficult to monitor impact.  Really not sure how I come out on this one.

Don't lie. You hate free market capitalism, so we all know where you come out on this one, to the far left of Raz, if such a thing is possible.

Siege

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on April 16, 2015, 02:49:12 PM
Don't lie. You hate free market capitalism, so we all know where you come out on this one, to the far left of Raz, if such a thing is possible.

He's actually pretty moderate. For instance, he expects the invisible hand will continue creating enough good jobs to go around.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?