News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Real Inqueistion! Raz read, Hans approved.

Started by Razgovory, February 08, 2015, 12:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2015, 11:54:42 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 13, 2015, 11:43:07 AM
Arianism wasn't a Church-State conflict; it was a doctrinal conflict over which direction the Church-State complex should go.

So when the Emperor and the Church stood on the different sides of the doctrinal conflict it was a Church-State conflict wasn't it?

The Emperor got what he wanted.  Constantine instituted the Nicean Creed.  Constantius II abolished it and replaced it with a new creed.  So when the Emperor and the Church stood on different sides, the Emperor took steps to fix that problem.

The notion of the Church-State conflict does become a significant issue until Pope Gregory in the 12th century.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2015, 12:12:43 PM
2) The Pope didn't have the power or influence they had later into the middle and especially high middle ages.  Arguably the Bishops of Alexandria and Milan were more powerful and influential.
Sure but both of whom were on the Pope's side at this period and it's from this moment that Roman prestige begins to grow. But it is from this period that other Churches begin to refer to Rome for mediation or settlement because Rome didn't move even when the Empire did and didn't embrace the Arianism or semi-Arianism of the fifteen council or whatever they had.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 12:13:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2015, 12:07:48 PM
What most people don't realize is that under Constantius II new Council's were held which, under the Emperor's influence (including banishing some proponents of the Nicean Creed), rejected the Nicean creed and adopted a new Creed which was closer to that of Arianism.  Shortly after many of all the proponents of the Nicean creed were preplaced.  If not for the disruption caused by Julian the Apostate coming to power the new creed would have become the orthodox creed.
This is part of Rome's claim to precedence: that they never embraced heresy even when it was, falsely, orthodoxy (which isn't strictly true). The Roman Church was far less affected by the move to Arianism. A large part of that is that they were less theologically sophisticated and the Western Empire was collapsing, and you're right had it continued they may well have ended up as the heretics in this case.

But I think at this point the Roman church begins to break from the church-state complex.

But that is only an argument that can only be made in hindsight.  The Pope didn't have much influence beyond Rome.  And the population of Rome was still significantly Pagan. In short is was a backwater that people didn't pay much attention to.  The theological battles were raging elsewhere.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 12:16:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2015, 12:12:43 PM
2) The Pope didn't have the power or influence they had later into the middle and especially high middle ages.  Arguably the Bishops of Alexandria and Milan were more powerful and influential.
Sure but both of whom were on the Pope's side at this period and it's from this moment that Roman prestige begins to grow. But it is from this period that other Churches begin to refer to Rome for mediation or settlement because Rome didn't move even when the Empire did and didn't embrace the Arianism or semi-Arianism of the fifteen council or whatever they had.

I would argue that Rome's influence begins to grow for reasons unrelated to the Arian controversy and has more to do with the Roman view toward the Church accumulating wealth which then lead to its ability to accumulate power. 

Sheilbh

Yeah. But it's like saying that from the Nestorians and Miaphysites we can see an emerging concept of Christianity as something beyond the state church. The difference is that Rome was right and vindicated by the rest of the Church rejecting Arianism. Within Roman Christianity I think, as well as the weakening sinews of the state, that did create a separate identity of Christianity distinct from the State Church - bolstered by Augustine's City of God.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 12:24:09 PM
Yeah. But it's like saying that from the Nestorians and Miaphysites we can see an emerging concept of Christianity as something beyond the state church. The difference is that Rome was right and vindicated by the rest of the Church rejecting Arianism. Within Roman Christianity I think, as well as the weakening sinews of the state, that did create a separate identity of Christianity distinct from the State Church - bolstered by Augustine's City of God.

Rome was "right" only because of events that had nothing to do with Rome.  :P

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2015, 12:15:53 PM

The notion of the Church-State conflict does become a significant issue until Pope Gregory in the 12th century.

I don't know how to respond to this--there are so many examples that refute it.

A few things worth pointing out:
-the investiture controversy with Pope Gregory and the walk to canossa was in the 11th century.
-I'd refer you to a few periods of Italian history: the struggle between the Pope and Eastern Empire after the fall of the Western Empire for secular control of the Italian peninsula.
-The relationship between the Lombards and Church, culminating in the invitation of Charlemagne to Italy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2015, 01:29:27 PM
You put the Investiture crisis twice.

That is how important it was.

Actually, that is the result of me starting a message, going to a meeting, and coming back to finish.  :blush:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

The Minsky Moment

Arianism wasn't a Church-State conflict; it was a doctrinal conflict over which direction the Church-State complex should go.

So when the Emperor and the Church stood on the different sides of the doctrinal conflict it was a Church-State conflict wasn't it?

No they were theological differences between people.  There was no State and Church with separate spheres of actual authority to have a conflict.  In fact during this period it was common for one of the emperors to be Arian and one not.   So is that a state-state-church conflict?  Of course not.  In fact it is anachronistic to refer to "Church" in this sense at all in this time period, Ecclesia still has its original meaning as the collectivity of believers (or the "assembly" of believers of a particular era).

One can meaningfully speak about Church-State relations only at the point when the offices of the prelates become institutionalized and independently assume certain of the functions of the old Roman State.  And that doesn't happen until deep into the 5the century.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on February 13, 2015, 02:06:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2015, 01:29:27 PM
You put the Investiture crisis twice.

That is how important it was.

Actually, that is the result of me starting a message, going to a meeting, and coming back to finish.  :blush:

And if you go back and read what I said about it you will see that I refer, at least three times, to the revolution Pope Gregory started as part of the process that was the conflict between the Church and local rulers. 

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 13, 2015, 02:27:11 PM

No they were theological differences between people.  There was no State and Church with separate spheres of actual authority to have a conflict.  In fact during this period it was common for one of the emperors to be Arian and one not.   So is that a state-state-church conflict?  Of course not.  In fact it is anachronistic to refer to "Church" in this sense at all in this time period, Ecclesia still has its original meaning as the collectivity of believers (or the "assembly" of believers of a particular era).

One can meaningfully speak about Church-State relations only at the point when the offices of the prelates become institutionalized and independently assume certain of the functions of the old Roman State.  And that doesn't happen until deep into the 5the century.

A roman emperor was excommunicated in the late 4th century.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on February 13, 2015, 08:22:19 PM
A roman emperor was excommunicated in the late 4th century.

So says the myth.
But this is one of those examples where the contemporary sources are at odds with the spin put on events much later.  The text of Ambrose's contemporary letter is available.  Read it and tell me if it looks like a Church-State conflict to you.  Because it doesn't look like it to me:

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/ambrose_letters_06_letters51_60.htm#Letter51
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Thanks for ruining the Monty Python joke, guys.   :rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"