Should prisons offer degree-granting courses to convicted felons?

Started by jimmy olsen, January 29, 2015, 01:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_the_well

I suppose this could apply to some of his broad-brush smears of Democrats/the Left/Obama etc.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 30, 2015, 12:15:50 AM
You know, we've been hear so long. I forget the origin of that meme. Did Siege actually claim to poison wells while in the IDF?

He was talking throwing goat carcasses down wells back as a form of retaliation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

In the new world, there will be neither very many felons nor very many degrees.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Warspite

Does this not risk creating an incentive to commit a crime that will result in prison time in order to get a free degree?

We should be careful to make sure that this does not increase the crime rate.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

viper37

Did Siege actually claim to poison wells while in the IDF?
no, he said it was the only way to deal with Palestinians, never admitted to doing it himself, denying he ever did it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Siege on January 29, 2015, 11:40:48 AM
I don't believe in reeducation.
They should pay for their crimes, and pay hard.
This school thing would come out of our taxes, s0o fuck no.

So does the cost of their incarceration.  You do want to stop spending money on these people, right? :contract:
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 30, 2015, 01:04:23 AM
You know, we've been hear so long. I forget the origin of that meme. Did Siege actually claim to poison wells while in the IDF?

He was talking throwing goat carcasses down wells back as a form of retaliation.

Did he actually do it?  If not, sounds like a pretty epic troll.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2015, 01:48:35 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 29, 2015, 01:45:55 AM
Let them rot.

I think you are now the biggest idiot on Languish. Congrats.
He's definitely no Einstein, but in this case I think it's Beeb syndrome in play rather than IQ deficit syndrome.  In his line of work, thinking about life's complexities is counterproductive.  You need to live in the world where there are clearly good guys and clearly bad guys, and if reality doesn't cooperate, you need to find another reality.  You can't do your job if you're capable of questioning whether you're making the world a better place or a worse place by just performing your duties.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2015, 12:37:57 PM

I don't think it was either an admission or a troll.  It was just a "you bring a knife, we'll bring a gun" kind of bravado.  It doesn't mean that he admitted to shooting people.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on January 30, 2015, 12:39:52 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2015, 01:48:35 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 29, 2015, 01:45:55 AM
Let them rot.

I think you are now the biggest idiot on Languish. Congrats.
He's definitely no Einstein, but in this case I think it's Beeb syndrome in play rather than IQ deficit syndrome.  In his line of work, thinking about life's complexities is counterproductive.  You need to live in the world where there are clearly good guys and clearly bad guys, and if reality doesn't cooperate, you need to find another reality.  You can't do your job if you're capable of questioning whether you're making the world a better place or a worse place by just performing your duties.

In my line of work a great deal of time is actually spent criticizing the actions of police and other government officials.  A prosecutor who lives in a world "where there are clearly good guys and clearly bad guys" is a really shitty prosecutor, and not one likely to last for very long.

However, the world is full of people willing to publicly criticize police and other government officials.  Me, I keep my criticism confined to my job.  But don't confuse my posting on languish as being the sole entirety of my thoughts.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on January 30, 2015, 12:43:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2015, 12:37:57 PM

I don't think it was either an admission or a troll.  It was just a "you bring a knife, we'll bring a gun" kind of bravado.  It doesn't mean that he admitted to shooting people.

He never said he did it, he never said he didn't--he just said he had been present when it occurred, because that's the kind of fucking psycho nutjob Zionist settlers he associated with. 

In any case, he's a slice of human fucking filth.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2015, 03:21:46 PM
He never said he did it, he never said he didn't--he just said he had been present when it occurred, because that's the kind of fucking psycho nutjob Zionist settlers he associated with. 

In any case, he's a slice of human fucking filth.

Or he just said that to get your overreaction.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall