News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

January 28th, 1986 - STS-51-L

Started by PRC, January 28, 2015, 05:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

The Challenger explosion happened on this day in 1986.  I was a young teenager at the time and I remember the mission getting lots of pre-launch hype because of Christa McAuliffe being onboard, and lots of post-launch hype because of the explosion obviously.  We discussed it in class and I remember sitting at home with the family watching Reagan give his tribute speech.  One of the harshest revelations about the event was that the astronauts did not die in the explosion but upon the crew compartment impact with the ocean. 

The Brain

Winter/spring of 1986 was a bit harsh. Challenger. Chernobyl. In Sweden the PM was assassinated.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

This was the first humanity-altering event I remember as a little kid. Had a huge impact.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2015, 05:39:37 PM
This was the first humanity-altering event I remember as a little kid. Had a huge impact.

:bleeding: :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Brain on January 28, 2015, 05:40:19 PM

Sorry your PM wasn't on my radar when I was five.  :P

Monoriu

I still don't understand why it was such a huge deal though.  Certainly sad, but I don't see the long term consequences. 

PRC

Quote from: Monoriu on January 28, 2015, 05:43:35 PM
I still don't understand why it was such a huge deal though.  Certainly sad, but I don't see the long term consequences. 

I think one of the reasons it resonated was because Christa McAuliffe, just a regular jane non-astronaut was on board.  So it was getting a lot more attention than maybe a regular launch would have.  That resonated with a lot of people.

MadImmortalMan

School was cancelled. So big deal. People took it seriously at the time.

mongers

IIRC Nasa have recalculated the odds of disaster during the early shuttle missions and it was a one in nine, with the last ones it was still something like a one in 38 chance of disaster.

I don't know how exact these figures are, as I'm recalling what the astronaut Chris Hadfield said, I'd guess the figures are a combination of launch and re-entry risks, by far the most dangerous parts of a mission.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Yeah if they'd been putting a a satellite system to monitor and improve the traffic flow on American interstate and urban roads, now that would have been a big deal.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2015, 05:47:20 PM

Columbia wasn't such a big deal?

crazy canuck

I was a reminder that going into space is dangerous.  Other than that not much of a lasting consequence.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2015, 05:41:56 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 28, 2015, 05:40:19 PM

Sorry your PM wasn't on my radar when I was five.  :P

I thought you were older.  I was four at the time.  I remember looking out my bedroom window to see if I could see it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: PRC on January 28, 2015, 05:47:08 PM

I think one of the reasons it resonated was because Christa McAuliffe, just a regular jane non-astronaut was on board.  So it was getting a lot more attention than maybe a regular launch would have.  That resonated with a lot of people.
Another reason is that it was caught perfectly on tape as it happened, so it made it all the more dramatic, complete with the anchors stopping mid-sentence and mission control personnel sitting with their mouths agape.  Back then we didn't have dash cams from Russia to watch disasters unfold many times a day.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Monoriu on January 28, 2015, 05:53:34 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2015, 05:47:20 PM

Columbia wasn't such a big deal?

No I don't think so. It sucked, but this one was...how do I say it. The adults around me thought it was huge, so I did too.