Swedish Reporter conducts experiment on what its like to be a Jew, is assaulted

Started by jimmy olsen, January 27, 2015, 09:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

How Europeanly retro

www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-news/1.638771?utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social

Swedish reporter assaulted after wearing kippah to test attitudes toward Jews
Reporter walked through southern city of Malmo wearing traditional Jewish cap, had to flee for fear of serious violence.

By JTA   | Jan. 24, 2015 | 7:14 PM | 16

A Swedish reporter who walked around the southern Swedish city of Malmo while wearing a kippah to test attitudes toward Jews was hit once and cursed at by passersby before he fled for fear of serious violence.

Sveriges Television on Wednesday aired secretly recorded footage from Petter Ljunggren's walk through Malmo, which documented some of the incidents that occurred within the space a few hours.

In one scene, Ljunggren — who, in addition to wearing a kippah was also wearing Star of David pendant — was filmed sitting at a café in central Malmo reading a newspaper, as several passersby hurled anti-Semitic insults at him.

Elsewhere, one person hit his arm, the reporter said on camera, though this was not recorded. One of the people who cursed Ljunggren called him a "Jewish devil," "Jewish shit" and another told him to "get out."

One person on a scooter approached Ljunggren to warn him to leave for his own safety. In the heavily Muslim Rosengard neighborhood, Ljunggren was surrounded by a dozen men who shouted anti-Semitic slogans as eggs were hurled at his direction from apartments overhead. He then fled the area.

The experiment was part of a 58-minute documentary titled "Jew-hatred in Malmo." The walk was a repeat of a similar experiment conducted in 2013 by journalist Patrick Riley, though Riley reported that he received only strange looks and drew giggles from onlookers when he walked by wearing a kippah.

Dozens of anti-Semitic incidents are recorded annually in Malmo, a city where first- and second- generation immigrants from the Middle East make up one third of a population of roughly 300,000. Several hundred Jews live there.

Fred Kahn, a leader of the local Jewish community, told JTA that most incidents are perpetrated by Muslims or Arabs.

Hanna Thome, a municipal councilor for culture and anti-discrimination, told the Expressen daily that she was shocked by the events documented by Ljunggren.

"There is much more to do, and both the municipality and the police have a great responsibility. But I also want to emphasize that there is great solidarity in the city," she said in reference to several so-called kippahwalks, where Jews and non-Jews marched through Malmo's street while wearing yarmulkes to protest against anti-Semitism.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Somewhat on topic, I thought of Marty* when I saw a news item from Poland on Monday. They interviewed a nice young Jewish activist/youth leader outside Auschwitz, he said he had no fear of living in Poland as a Jew, but certainly he would have some concern if he lived in the UK, Germany or France. In fact he said he thought Poland was one of the anti-Semitic place in Europe.

* I only thought of Marty, because the guy looked like a younger version of him or that he might fancy the guy and that it was in Poland.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Scipio

This reminds me of Gentleman's Agreement, which taught Gregory Peck the lesson that it's a good idea to treat Jews like people, because they may turn out to be Protestants.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2015, 10:06:58 PM
What's the difference between a kippah and a yarmulke?

The first is a Hebrew word, the second is a Yiddish word.

Martinus

Is noone expressly acknowledging the elephant in the room in this thread because everyone knows what it is or because everybody is unaware?

You guys know what's so special about Malmo, right? (hint: it shares something in common with Birmingham and Marseilles)

And to answer mongers's conundrum, there is also something about Poland which differentiates it from Germany, France or the UK, and we do have our own share of homegrown antisemites, so it's not that Poles are these enlightened and tolerant balls of light either.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on January 28, 2015, 01:07:42 AM

You guys know what's so special about Malmo, right? (hint: it shares something in common with Birmingham and Marseilles)

I don't.  Feel free to enlighten me  :)

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on January 28, 2015, 01:44:54 AM

I don't.  Feel free to enlighten me  :)

Well, the suggestion is in the text. Each has a very significant (at least 20% or more) muslim minority.

Poland has practically no muslims.

Martinus

It's also really amazing how the article posted by Tim makes no mention whatsoever of the attackers' cultural and ethnic background, but then, out of blue, goes to great length to explain Malmo's demography. It reminds me of the best/worst Stalinist era double speak when the media could not say certain things  openly so had to get it past the censor disguised in an innocent innuendo.

It's quite startling how the Western media have willingly donned this muzzle and choose to withhold certain vital information from the public, only because it may be politically incorrect. The result is that people like Tim, not used to reading between the lines, can come to a completely wrong conclusion that this is just "antisemitic Europeans being antisemitic, like during the Hitler era", while the truth is everything but.

jimmy olsen

I am completely aware of who the perpetrators are, but I won't let that get in the way of a snide opening post. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2015, 02:08:35 AM
I am completely aware of who the perpetrators are, but I won't let that get in the way of a snide opening post. :)

Fair enough. :P

Still, the fact that so many people commented on the thread but noone (including the opening article) mentioned this is quite telling. Quite Orwellian. I thought when communism fell we would no longer engage in such exercises of double speak. :P

Sheilbh

Is noone expressly acknowledging the elephant in the room in this thread because everyone knows what it is or because everybody is unaware?

I'd only read the article, so I had no idea:
QuoteIn the heavily Muslim Rosengard neighborhood, Ljunggren was surrounded by a dozen men who shouted anti-Semitic slogans as eggs were hurled at his direction from apartments overhead. He then fled the area.

The experiment was part of a 58-minute documentary titled "Jew-hatred in Malmo." The walk was a repeat of a similar experiment conducted in 2013 by journalist Patrick Riley, though Riley reported that he received only strange looks and drew giggles from onlookers when he walked by wearing a kippah.

Dozens of anti-Semitic incidents are recorded annually in Malmo, a city where first- and second- generation immigrants from the Middle East make up one third of a population of roughly 300,000. Several hundred Jews live there.

Fred Kahn, a leader of the local Jewish community, told JTA that most incidents are perpetrated by Muslims or Arabs.

Hanna Thome, a municipal councilor for culture and anti-discrimination, told the Expressen daily that she was shocked by the events documented by Ljunggren.

"There is much more to do, and both the municipality and the police have a great responsibility. But I also want to emphasize that there is great solidarity in the city," she said in reference to several so-called kippahwalks, where Jews and non-Jews marched through Malmo's street while wearing yarmulkes to protest against anti-Semitism.
Thank God you're here to tell us.

A British journalist did this in London with no response. I think, like our Kiwi brethren, we're too polite.:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11271237/Secret-video-Is-anti-Semitism-alive-on-the-streets-of-London.html
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Oh ok. I must have glossed over these parts and then went into a righteous rage. Sorry.  :lol:

Ignore my posts then. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on January 28, 2015, 02:24:20 AM
Ignore my posts then. :P
Done and done :P

Edit: Also, in what way is a rage so flimsily founded 'righteous'? :P
Let's bomb Russia!