"Dear Wealthy Fucks: Fuck you. Yours in Christ, the Black Guy"

Started by CountDeMoney, January 18, 2015, 09:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

They lost their voice in the two parties as the latter were slowly taken over by their radical elements.  Apathy and the structure of our system keeps them silent.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 22, 2015, 12:27:42 PM
They lost their voice in the two parties as the latter were slowly taken over by their radical elements.  Apathy and the structure of our system keeps them silent.

But that structure has existed for a long time.  I understand the argument that the primary system creates a bias for selecting extreme candidates but why hasn't it always done so.  I suspect the answer is that once upon a time in the US their was wide agreement about certain fundamental issues and all the disagreement was at the edges.  But now it seems there is no wide based agreement about anything in your country.  If that is accurate, how did that happen?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2015, 12:35:21 PM
But that structure has existed for a long time.  I understand the argument that the primary system creates a bias for selecting extreme candidates but why hasn't it always done so.  I suspect the answer is that once upon a time in the US their was wide agreement about certain fundamental issues and all the disagreement was at the edges.  But now it seems there is no wide based agreement about anything in your country.  If that is accurate, how did that happen?

Multiple factors, I think.  We are bigger and less homogenized than we used to be.  The slate of issues of concern at the federal and state levels continues to grow.  With so many issues and so many different combinations of opinions and hot buttons, how do you effectively shove yourself into one of two boxes?  People go along with whatever they feel is closest to their slate of opinions.  The party leadership then starts pandering to the "base", which is code for the most die-hard radical supporters.  They can do this because they know the people with more nuanced positions are unlikely to defect to the opposing party, so as long as they have a strong base and don't help the other guy they don't give a shit.  As this strategy continues to work they double down on it, further radicalizing the base and pushing more people out of the system.  Before you know it, most eligible voters aren't even voting because they can't get behind either option.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 22, 2015, 12:58:49 PM

Multiple factors, I think.  We are bigger and less homogenized than we used to be.  The slate of issues of concern at the federal and state levels continues to grow.  With so many issues and so many different combinations of opinions and hot buttons, how do you effectively shove yourself into one of two boxes?  People go along with whatever they feel is closest to their slate of opinions.  The party leadership then starts pandering to the "base", which is code for the most die-hard radical supporters.  They can do this because they know the people with more nuanced positions are unlikely to defect to the opposing party, so as long as they have a strong base and don't help the other guy they don't give a shit.  As this strategy continues to work they double down on it, further radicalizing the base and pushing more people out of the system.  Before you know it, most eligible voters aren't even voting because they can't get behind either option.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on January 21, 2015, 07:13:03 PM
Quote from: Siege on January 21, 2015, 02:43:59 PM
I don't. I follow the Wealth of Nations by that little scottish dude.

he was revolutionary in his time, but if he lived today he'd be one of the most economically-illiterate intellectuals in the world.  The reality of externalities, for instance, destroys his basic theory.
science is like religion.  If it's been written many years ago, it is still valid today and anything else is just a test of your Faith.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2015, 01:30:00 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 22, 2015, 12:58:49 PM

That sounds like a reasonable explanation.

And yet sometimes the parties nominate bland moderates like Romney.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Reagan and Obama were both on the outside edge of their respective parties maybe. That they each won two terms might be a little telling.

Maybe running to the middle is genuinely a bad idea.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Or you could argue the opposite - the wide agreement about certain fundamental issues is so strong, it is no longer perceived as an agreement, but simply as the reality paradigm. So both mainstream parties need to differentiate themselves from each other by taking opposing views on issues of relatively minor importance, such as abortion, gay marriage, pot legalisation or immigration.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2015, 01:25:48 AM

Or you could argue the opposite - the wide agreement about certain fundamental issues is so strong, it is no longer perceived as an agreement, but simply as the reality paradigm. So both mainstream parties need to differentiate themselves from each other by taking opposing views on issues of relatively minor importance, such as abortion, gay marriage, pot legalisation or immigration.

In order to make that argument you would have to be able to identify the fundamental issues upon which agreement is strong.  Any idea what those might be?