News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Proud To Be A Brit Today

Started by mongers, January 16, 2015, 09:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I believe CC's given a lengthier telling of the story before, complete with revealing pronouns.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

We showered. Why wouldn't you? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Yeah, it just wasn't done at my school either despite showers being there. Time issues I guess.
Though that is a good thing. Kids are evil enough as it is without all being naked in a confined wet area. Bullying city.

To think though I don't think it was much of a big deal. Mid day pe was mostly just for younger kids. Post puberty when the issue of smelly sweat started to arise we did pe at the end of the day so went home right after.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

There used to be a difference between a PE period and Team Sports/Games Afternoons for me; after a 40 minute PE period, with 5 minutes to get to the next class, of course nobody showered at my school. After a 2-3 hour Games Afternoon involving football, rugby or cricket (or cross country running for the more inept), of course everyone showered.

This was 25 years ago and at a school where selling off the playing fields would have been considered the vilest heresy so I don't know what the situation is at the schools they did the survey at; still, even assuming that the "PE" they're referring to is a combination of the separate sessions above it's hardly concerning that such a large number don't shower regularly given the vast number of possible reasons why this is the case (time issues, going to shower at home, think that deoderant's the be all and end all etc.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 17, 2015, 12:25:18 AM
I don't think there was ever a single case of anybody ever ever showering after PE class that I can recall.

Hell, we didn't shower after wrestling practice, just wanted to get the hell out of there and go home.  Showered then.

Aye, PE was always the last class of the day, and people showered at home. Actually we weren't allowed to shower at the sports complex until we were 16+, I suppose because of lice/fungal concerns?

I didn't shower in a room full of other dudes until I was 17 and joined a local football team.

Liep

Everybody was required to shower after PE classes here and everyone did because why the fuck not?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Scandinavians are less embarrassed about showing off their naughty bits.  You guys go to work nude.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2015, 03:03:30 PM
Scandinavians are less embarrassed about showing off their naughty bits.  You guys go to work nude.

Only because it's so hot herre.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Duque de Bragança

A new reason to be proud for a Brit  :bowler:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30891939

QuoteSun newspaper drops Page Three topless pictures - Times
COMMENTS (1601)
Copies of the Sun newspaper
The Page Three feature in the Sun was started in 1970

How Page Three fell out of step with the times

The Sun newspaper will no longer feature topless women on Page Three, the Times has reported.

The Times, which has the same publisher as the Sun, said it understood Friday's edition of the Sun was the last that would carry images of topless women, although they would continue online.

Page Three has been a Sun feature for 44 years but has been criticised for being sexist and outdated.

The Sun's press office would neither confirm nor deny the reports.

Dylan Sharpe, the Sun's head of public relations tweeted on Monday: "Page 3 will be in the Sun tomorrow in the same place it's always been - between page 2 and page 4."

'Right direction'
The Sun had already stopped carrying topless images at weekends, and sometimes did the same during the week.

Page Three: Are you for or against?
Page Three of Monday's Sun featured model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in lingerie, while Hollyoaks actresses Jennifer Metcalfe and Gemma Merna were photographed in bikinis on a beach on Tuesday.

The Times, which is a News UK title, said the paper had decided to quietly drop the feature.

It said it understood that News Corp executive chairman Rupert Murdoch had signed off the decision.

The topless images have long drawn protests from campaigners, with an online petition against their use attracting more than 215,000 signatures so far.

A campaign group called No More Page Three was founded in 2012 by Lucy-Anne Holmes, and has since gained support from a number of MPs and anti-sexism charities.

Ms Holmes told BBC Newsnight the group would not claim victory if scantily clad women continued to appear in the paper, but it was a "step in the right direction" if they were no longer topless.

She said: "The Sun hasn't suddenly decided that women say, think and do interesting and incredible things, it's still basically saying women are here for decoration."

Anne Louise Kershaw, No More Page Three: "It's a positive step"

Page Three modelling 'my choice'
'Matter for newspapers'
Downing Street said the prime minister believes it is up to newspapers to decide what they publish.

Number Ten declined to express any opinion over whether David Cameron welcomed the Sun's decision.

The prime minister's spokesman said: "He thinks what newspapers publish is a matter for newspapers. His view is that editorial decisions are for editors."

However, Education Secretary Nicky Morgan, who is also women and equalities minister, said the move was "long overdue".

She hailed it as a "a small but significant step towards improving media portrayal of women and girls", and added that she hoped it would be permanent.

Labour sources said Ed Miliband would be "pleased" by the decision as "he has said before it was out of date", according to BBC assistant political editor Norman Smith.

'Breasts not brains'
Labour MP Stella Creasy, also an anti-Page Three campaigner, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The objectification of women in this way was basically saying to all of us that what mattered, frankly, were our breasts not our brains."

Jodie Marsh is among the models who have spoken out in defence of Page Three
Media commentator Steve Hewlett argued the feature had been seen as "embarrassing" and its removal was evidence of the paper "trying to re-invent itself in the world post phone-hacking".

Jodie Marsh, who has appeared on Page Three a number of times, tweeted in defence of the Sun's feature: "So called 'feminists' really annoy me. Telling girls they shouldn't do page 3 is NOT being a feminist; women should do WHATEVER they want!!"

Former topless model Nicola McLean defended the feature to ITV, saying: "I don't think it is outdated.

"I think the girls still look fantastic on the page, they still clearly enjoy what they are doing, people still want to see it."

The Irish edition of the Sun stopped topless pictures two years ago.

Reports suggest the change to the paper edition may be reversed if it results in a noticeable drop in sales.

Is it OMG the Sun is DYING à la Languish?

Eddie Teach

Cal just canceled his subscription.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2015, 09:17:06 PM
We weren't allowed to, which was just...weird.

Same for us, pretty much.  I think we were technically allowed to, but it was practically impossible as you were given no time.  In high school I always scheduled gym for 7th period, since I hated feeling nasty & sweaty the rest of the school day.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

I don't think I showered after PE classes, because why would you do that?

50 minute classes, 15 minutes gone (at least) after roll call and changing, then you have change/shower time at the end. At the end of the day you might have 20 minutes for some sort of game, including organizational time (picking teams etc). You probably aren't even in the game the whole time (say if you are playing volleyball, there might be 20 people to a court, meaning you have to rotate in and out).

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Siege

Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2015, 09:20:49 PM
You're proud that 9/10 boys and 12/13 of girls have body image issues, which the article indicates are not imagined, that shame them into not showering?  Britannia rules the waves, I guess.

What do you mean? That they are afraid of showing their weenies or boobies?
Well, they should have circuncised and then they would have a big honey bread like mine.
And I don't get why the girls would have a problem with having small tits. I have heard of this before, that girls are ashamed of having small tits. This is stupid. Small tits are WAAYYYYY better than big tits.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

At least now I know why American guys suddenly develop problems with showering with gays when they get in the army: they've never showered with other people before in their lives. Freaks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.