Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 11:59:04 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2015, 11:12:43 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 10:29:40 AM
QuoteIt's so very easy to defend the freedom of speech of those we agree with. It requires no particular courage or intellectual rigour.

I don't see how that's true. I think we'd still call it courageous if a media outlet had been threatened and attacked for something mainstream that we agreed with. Similarly people who frustrated aims of would be attackers of said hypothetical media outlet would also be looked upon as courageous. I suppose less "intellectual rigour" as you wouldn't have the cognitive dissonance factor of having to verbally support something that you despite - but that's about it as a difference.

It is easy to defend the right of someone to say something you agree with.  One's commitment to freedom of speech is tested when defending the right of someone to say something you don't agree with.  Pretty straight forward I would think.

Sure but there is nothing particularly courageous about that - or more courageous than say defending something that you agree with.

I don't think you have to agree with the cartoons to reprint them as a sign of solidarity. I am not saying those who choose not to are cowards or weaklings, but I don't think only those who openly (or secretly) agree with the cartoons would reprint them.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 12:01:12 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 12:00:31 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 11:54:56 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 11:54:06 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 11:52:18 AM
As I stated. You just confirmed it.

The French are incredibly defensive when it comes to French stuff, bless their hearts.

Unlike Americans, who are completely relaxed and non-defensive on topics such as race, for example.

In fact, I don't think any other nation on Languish is constantly accusing others of not getting some local idiosyncracy or another as much as Americans.

So, you're saying the French are racist? Hence their acceptance of the CH cartoons.

:huh:

Glad you admit the poor taste and racism of the French.  ;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 12:01:47 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 12, 2015, 11:57:03 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 11:54:06 AM

The French are incredibly defensive when it comes to French stuff, bless their hearts.

:yes:
Specially sons of immigrants.

We're all on the same team, fuckface.  So lighten the fuck up.

I did not know you were the son of an immigrant, sorry.  :Embarrass:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 12, 2015, 12:03:52 PM

Another patty on the Assburger grille, thank you.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 12:06:15 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 12, 2015, 12:03:52 PM

Another patty on the Assburger grille, thank you.

It's sure hard to tell with your faux Irish act, the typical phoney hyphenated American stuff :mad:

Zoupa

Confirmed what? Poor taste? Have you seen your avatar and the caption underneath it you stupid piece of shit?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on January 12, 2015, 12:11:27 PM

Confirmed what? Poor taste? Have you seen your avatar and the caption underneath it you stupid piece of shit?

Wait a minute.  We are supposed to defend Charlie's right to be in poor taste and offensive but 11B4 is a stupid piece of shit?  Seems like some take the whole defence of freedom of expression seriously only when it suits them. :P

Zoupa

We were talking about poor taste, not freedom of expression.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2015, 12:15:18 PM

Wait a minute.  We are supposed to defend Charlie's right to be in poor taste and offensive but 11B4 is a stupid piece of shit?  Seems like some take the whole defence of freedom of expression seriously only when it suits them. :P

We will stop calling him a stupid piece of shit if he gets shot to death.  :moon:

11B4V

Yes it's true too. He is culpable in the deaths of his co-workers, innocent civilians and police officers. What's next, you all start printing and wearing t-shirts with that CH garbage. Stupid fucks. And you all are supposed to be refined. What a joke.

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 11:17:49 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2015, 11:15:44 AM
Kind of odd that the US didn't even send Kerry to the Paris rally.

Maybe his Muslim boss didn't approve of the cartoons. :P

:D

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

11B4V

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 12:16:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2015, 12:15:18 PM

We will stop calling him a stupid piece of shit if he gets shot to death.  :moon:

I will wait for the Charlie Hebdo commando squad to come knocking. I got something waiting for them.  :shifty:  :P

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 11:17:02 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2015, 11:06:00 AM
Well, someone needs to make Seedy feel shame.

He is a Catholic. He feels shame every time he has an erection.

Maybe he did in his teens.  Seems doubtful now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall