News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europe's Populist Left

Started by Sheilbh, January 04, 2015, 12:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

You're boring the shit out of us, mono. :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

alfred russel

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 12, 2015, 12:58:09 AM

He is helping me get in my next article for Black Helicopter Watch Magazine.

I'm titling it, "Chinese Government Official States Preference for Global Currency Union".
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Monoriu on February 11, 2015, 09:35:06 PM
I prefer a currency union of all the countries on Earth.  The World's central bank will appear to be an omni-present council of vagueness appointed by the UN, but is actually an AI that resides on the back of the moon and is designed with instruction to reach zero global inflation.

Must have catapults that shoot big rocks onto the Earth when 60% debt to GDP is reached.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

So apparently that leaked statement was never agreed to by all parties. Another was but Varoufakis and his deputies were negative on it and Tsipras also vetoed.

Edit: Actually other statement may not have been agreed.

A line from the Economist 'officials say that the ministers' next meeting, on Monday, will be Greece's last chance to yield to their demands.' Yay democracy.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2015, 07:13:07 AM
So apparently that leaked statement was never agreed to by all parties. Another was but Varoufakis and his deputies were negative on it and Tsipras also vetoed.

A line from the Economist 'officials say that the ministers' next meeting, on Monday, will be Greece's last chance to yield to their demands.' Yay democracy.

At least that is good against moral hazard. If you loan money, pay it back. If you don't, suffer the consequences.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 12, 2015, 07:14:28 AM
At least that is good against moral hazard. If you loan money, pay it back. If you don't, suffer the consequences.
Since the abolition of debtors' prisons, moral hazard cuts both ways. When a country of 11 million people and a GDP of €175 billion ends up with a debt of around €320 billion I'd suggest there's two sides that have made mistakes.

So far Greek money outflows have been far smaller than people had worried. Which is good.

People still seem reasonably optimistic about a deal though. I found this chart of one stat interesting, of just how tepid Europe's 'recovery' has been:
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2015, 07:27:36 AM
Since the abolition of debtors' prisons, moral hazard cuts both ways. When a country of 11 million people and a GDP of €175 billion ends up with a debt of around €320 billion I'd suggest there's two sides that have made mistakes

It's really not that different than the foreclosure crisis in the US a few years ago.  Turns out that making loans to people who aren't going to be able to pay them back isn't all that smart.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2015, 01:02:07 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 12, 2015, 12:58:09 AM

He is helping me get in my next article for Black Helicopter Watch Magazine.

I'm titling it, "Chinese Government Official States Preference for Global Currency Union".
I wish I'd said that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I prefer "High-ranking Chinese Government Official..."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2015, 07:13:07 AM
The other ministers are just as democratically legitimated as the Greeks. Or is there some rule that whoever had the last election somehow has priority in negotiations?

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2015, 07:27:36 AM

Since the abolition of debtors' prisons, moral hazard cuts both ways. When a country of 11 million people and a GDP of €175 billion ends up with a debt of around €320 billion I'd suggest there's two sides that have made mistakes.

Yeah, but that doesn't put one side under obligation to keep lending money to the other.

In the days of the debtors prisons, the Great Powers would be sending fleets to Athens to secure their country's interests.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

And if that mindset becomes institutionalized it certainly won't help the next time Merkele is asked to drag her constituents kicking and screaming to a bailout.

You understand I hope Shelf, that it's always more enjoyable to spend a loan than it is to repay it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2015, 08:37:56 AM
Yeah, but that doesn't put one side under obligation to keep lending money to the other.
Sure but no-one (aside from the creditors) really wants that.

QuoteIn the days of the debtors prisons, the Great Powers would be sending fleets to Athens to secure their country's interests.
We've moved on. Nowadays we just have to orchestrate a run on the banks.

QuoteAnd if that mindset becomes institutionalized it certainly won't help the next time Merkele is asked to drag her constituents kicking and screaming to a bailout.
What mindset do you mean?

QuoteYou understand I hope Shelf, that it's always more enjoyable to spend a loan than it is to repay it.
Sure. But if you're a creditor whose lent so much on such terms that there's no chance of them repaying it then you've made as much, if not more of a mistake, as the debtor.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2015, 08:54:29 AM
What mindset do you mean?

The mindset that the creditor of a failed program country has a moral obligation to forgive the loans.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2015, 08:54:29 AM
Sure. But if you're a creditor whose lent so much on such terms that there's no chance of them repaying it then you've made as much, if not more of a mistake, as the debtor.

You and Marty both made this point and I guess I don't understand why it is significant.  So what?  Is this not self evident?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."