News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A&E in Crisis

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 08:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on January 03, 2015, 02:48:38 AM
I hate reality TV.  To start with, there's just so dang much of it anymore, and depending on what you consider reality TV, almost none of it is even remotely watchable.

There's only one real reality show, and that was Cops.  And by Season 3, there were only so many times you could see the same drunk white guy sans shirt banging his head against the patrol car window. 

QuoteI understand why TV executives like it--it's about the cheapest possible programming to produce--but I can't understand why viewers actually watch it.

One day, our poor katmai will be out of work when the reality TV craze subsides.  But not this day.  Haven't you seen "Alaskan Women Looking for Love" on TLC yet?  Seriously.  It's out there.

The Brain

Is there anything Alaska won't do? :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Heh, TLC stands for "The Learning Channel". Joins the long list of initialisms that no longer make any sense in American TV.

Eddie Teach

Like AMC once they started running Catwoman.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on January 03, 2015, 01:04:47 PM
Heh, TLC stands for "The Learning Channel". Joins the long list of initialisms that no longer make any sense in American TV.

When it first started out, it would have the finest, stolen-from-the-UK documentaries one could watch.

But anyway, this thread shows how important it is to craft a hijack-proof thread title.  :P

Ideologue

Like "ERs in crisis"?

Quote from: Languish assholeYeah, it has been ever since Clooney left. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

There was a Swedish print journalist in the 90s who looked just like Dr. Goose.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2015, 12:19:19 AM
That channel threw away the A for Arts in "Arts & Entertainment" a long time ago.
They were the first.  A&E turned to shit.  Then TLC.  Then Discovery.  Then History.  Then Animal Planet.  A channel is born full of interesting content, and then turns into reality shit over time, and the change is happening faster and faster these days.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 04, 2015, 07:09:26 AM
But anyway, this thread shows how important it is to craft a hijack-proof thread title.  :P
It's a very long piece on a relatively niche. The only reason the thread lives is that it's hijackable :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2015, 11:31:19 AM
It's a very long piece on a relatively niche.

Mongers managed to get through the article 4 times though.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on January 04, 2015, 10:30:21 AM
That channel threw away the A for Arts in "Arts & Entertainment" a long time ago.
They were the first.  A&E turned to shit.  Then TLC.  Then Discovery.  Then History.  Then Animal Planet.  A channel is born full of interesting content, and then turns into reality shit over time, and the change is happening faster and faster these days.

Smithsonian is the last hold-out, and even they are beginning to falter.

Eddie Teach

There's still good stuff on the Science channel. And TCM still shows classic movies.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 04, 2015, 03:21:23 PM
There's still good stuff on the Science channel. And TCM still shows classic movies.

I think TCM only survives (I cannot believe it is profitable) because of selfless financial backing (and gouging for everything else).

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 04, 2015, 02:32:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 04, 2015, 10:30:21 AM
Smithsonian is the last hold-out, and even they are beginning to falter.
Yeah, I just noticed it up at the top of the dial.  There's also a channel called Oasis, which is all nature and space science shows, which is great.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 04, 2015, 05:10:09 PM
I think TCM only survives (I cannot believe it is profitable) because of selfless financial backing (and gouging for everything else).

Considering there's no commercials, I suspect you're right.  :lol: