British Royal Guards withdrawn to safer positions to protect them from attacks

Started by Syt, December 29, 2014, 08:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

So, what's the point of those guards if their guns aren't loaded and they have to be protected by the police, except to look quaint?

Btw, I didn't know the rifles of those guards weren't loaded.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/11314981/Royal-Guards-withdrawn-behind-metal-gates-at-London-palaces.html

QuoteRoyal Guards withdrawn behind metal gates at London palaces

Soldiers withdrawn from posts in front of Clarence House and St James's Palace, while guards at other landmarks are now protected by armed police

Royal Guards have been withdrawn from their traditional posts outside the country's palaces amid fears Islamist fanatics plan to target them.

The instantly recognisable Queen's Guards have been moved from their sentry boxes in front of the various royal premises and now stand guard behind locked gates or fences.

The decision was taken by Buckingham Palace and the police amid fears that Isil-inspired lone wolf attackers see them as a high-profile target.

Although the ceremonial guards are carrying weapons fitted with a bayonet, the guns are not loaded.

Armed police already provide additional security for the soldiers following the murder of a soldier on ceremonial duty at Canada's national war memorial in a suspected terror attack in October.

Guards have also been told not to take sentry duty alone – for the first time since the height of the IRA threat.

Although they had already been moved behind the gates at Buckingham Palace, the same has now happened at Clarence House, St James's Palace and Windsor Castle.
But the move was criticised by former guards as a "retreat" against terrorism.

Retired officer Major Iain Dalzel-Job of the Scots Guards told The Mail on Sunday: "I think this is a big shame.

"The reason people know we're around is because they can see us. But I suppose the changes are necessary as there is a significant threat.

Guards being watched over by armed police at Horse Guards on Whitehall.

Former Welsh guardsman Terry O'Shea added: "Moving the Guardsmen back to a more secure area seems an honourable retreat given the danger posed by the terrorists.

"'Unfortunately this is a sign of the times and how unpredictable the current situation is. We've seen horrific incidents across the world and in our capital city, so some action had to be taken to reduce the risk, even if it can never be eliminated.

"You could argue that there should be a defiant stand but how do you protect the soldiers on parade in a bright suit, shiny boots and a furry hat?"

Security around soldiers has been heightened since the murder of Drummer Lee Rigby outside Woolwich barracks in 2013 by two Islamist fanatics.

Isil has also called on its followers to launch attacks on home soil and the police and intelligence services said last month that they foiled a plot by Islamists to mount a terrorist attack, amid fears of a possible attack on serviceman and civilians on Remembrance Sunday.

Guards boxes used to stand on Cleveland Row at James's Palace (left) but have recently been moved to the court yard (right) (Alamy; Paul Grover/The Telegraph)

A month earlier Cpl Nathan Cirillo a 24-year-old reservist serving with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, was killed guarding war memorial outside Canada's federal parliament.

Scotland Yard and Buckingham Palace both declined to comment on the arrangements, saying they did not discuss security matters.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2014, 08:44:39 AM
So, what's the point of those guards if their guns aren't loaded and they have to be protected by the police, except to look quaint?

Btw, I didn't know the rifles of those guards weren't loaded.

You've just described 30% of British public life.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

They are there for the tourists.

I presume there is a proper guard at the ready somewhere else in the palace.

Syt

Quote from: mongers on December 29, 2014, 08:54:37 AM
You've just described 30% of British public life.

"She's lived for 400 years & hardly aged a day; but, because this is England, everyone pretends not to notice."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

frunk

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 29, 2014, 08:56:42 AM

Yeah. The clue is in their role as 'ceremonial guard' :lol:

Of course the regiments that provide those ceremonial guards are actual soldiers, though given the way we're going that seems to be largely ceremonial too <_<

I think a while after 7/7 or around that time I would have thought this was a bit over the top. Given the murder in Canada and of Lee Rigby, and the various car-attacks in France it's probably the right decision :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: frunk on December 29, 2014, 10:13:49 AM
Who watches the watchmen watchmen?

QuoteOut west near Hawtch-Hawtch there's a Hawtch-Hawtcher bee watcher, his job is to watch. Is to keep both his eyes on the lazy town bee, a bee that is watched will work harder you see. So he watched and he watched, but in spite of his watch that bee didn't work any harder not mawtch. So then somebody said "Our old bee-watching man just isn't bee watching as hard as he can, he ought to be watched by another Hawtch-Hawtcher! The thing that we need is a bee-watcher-watcher!". Well, the bee-watcher-watcher watched the bee-watcher. He didn't watch well so another Hawtch-Hawtcher had to come in as a watch-watcher-watcher! And now all the Hawtchers who live in Hawtch-Hawtch are watching on watch watcher watchering watch, watch watching the watcher who's watching that bee. You're not a Hawtch-Watcher you're lucky you see!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

The guards are military. Armed soldiers do not belong on the streets. It makes sense really.
Plus bayonets are pretty scary.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 29, 2014, 11:54:35 AM

Of course the regiments that provide those ceremonial guards are actual soldiers, though given the way we're going that seems to be largely ceremonial too <_<

You have Trident.  What need have you of soldiers?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Warspite

The job of the soldier in the UK is not to do what the police are for. You do not see soldiers wandering around with sidearms either, even when walking around Whitehall in uniform.

As Sheilbh says, the clue is in the name - ceremonial guard.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 29, 2014, 11:54:35 AM

I think a while after 7/7 or around that time I would have thought this was a bit over the top. Given the murder in Canada and of Lee Rigby, and the various car-attacks in France it's probably the right decision :(
Why can't they carry loaded guns rather than wasting manpower and money by having it "guarded" twice?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point