News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Many Great People Are Good People?

Started by Queequeg, December 21, 2014, 06:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I'm trying to think of any Presidents who were bad people but good Presidents...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 21, 2014, 09:32:15 PM
Quote from: dps on December 21, 2014, 09:30:46 PM
Jimmy Carter is a very good person, but he was really crappy President.

History will determine whether or not he was really crappy, thank you.  :mad:

How much longer do we have to wait?

sbr

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 21, 2014, 09:40:58 PM
Nixon?  LBJ?  Jefferson?

What's so bad about LBJ?  Honest question, I don't know much about him.

EDIT:  it's pretty funny that you have to specify when you are asking an honest question here.  :D

Tonitrus

Quote from: sbr on December 21, 2014, 10:06:28 PM
Nixon?  LBJ?  Jefferson?

EDIT:  it's pretty funny that you have to specify when you are asking an honest question here.  :D

Not a murderer or psychopath, of course, but I always had the impression that LBJ was quite an asshole in person.  Maybe he was just on par for being Texan, though.  :P

Obviously the vices we seen in more modern politicians (outside the really off-the-reservation Hitlers/Stalins/Mao's) will be panty-waist stuff compared to the feudal, classical types.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 21, 2014, 10:10:00 PM
Maybe he was just on par for being Texan, though.  :P

Hey!  I was only slightly an asshole :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on December 21, 2014, 10:06:28 PM
Nixon?  LBJ?  Jefferson?

History wasn't kind to him.  He waged the Vietnam war which put him on the new left's shit list, and major proponent of civil rights which caused Southern Democrats to hate him even more.  In more recent years, a new generation of Republicans (often descended from the Southern Democrats), have tried to argue that deep down he was a worse racist then southern Democrats who left the part over segregation and that he was secretly plotting to put blacks into slavery.  You can see tidbits of these ideas in modern Republican statements about federal "plantations", and how welfare is the new slavery.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on December 21, 2014, 09:30:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 21, 2014, 08:51:40 PM
Barack Obama seems to be a pretty decent bloke.

Yeah, but the question was how many great people are also good people.  Jimmy Carter is a very good person, but he was really crappy President.  President Obama is the same, I think, though not as extreme as Carter.  And least anyone think I'm just being partisan here, I'd say the same about Gerald Ford, and to a lesser extent, both Bushes.

What exactly was so bad about Carter?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 21, 2014, 10:10:00 PM
Obviously the vices we seen in more modern politicians (outside the really off-the-reservation Hitlers/Stalins/Mao's) will be panty-waist stuff compared to the feudal, classical types.

We could only wish we had an LBJ in Congress now, berating the fuck out of that little shit Ted Cruz at the urinal, smacking McConnell and Reid like Stooges, driving Rand Paul to the point of tears over his perm, and showing Nancy Pelosi a Monster Cock That Moves Legislation By Its Very Presence.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2014, 08:58:09 PM
I don't know about tolerant or detached toward crappy generals.  He was constantly sending telegrams ordering them to move their asses. 

"Four score and seven years ago I ordered you to move your ass. And still nothing. Wtf dude? I swear if you gaytards don't ..."

The Brain

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on December 21, 2014, 11:53:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2014, 08:58:09 PM
I don't know about tolerant or detached toward crappy generals.  He was constantly sending telegrams ordering them to move their asses. 

"Four score and seven years ago I ordered you to move your ass. And still nothing. Wtf dude? I swear if you gaytards don't ..."

""If General McClellan does not want to use the Army, I would like to borrow it for a time, provided I could see how it could be made to do something."

Martinus

Quote from: Scipio on December 21, 2014, 07:00:26 PM
And of course, Vincent Thomas Lombardi, John Carroll, and George VI of England.

What makes George VI "great"? Simply being a monarch does not make you great. It just makes you famous/important.