News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most famous brand per U.S. state

Started by Syt, December 19, 2014, 08:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

:angry:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/26/gay-teen-gaytard-name-tag_n_5533227.html

QuoteGay Teen Says He Was Forced To Wear 'Gaytard' Name Tag At Taco Chain

A gay South Dakota teen is speaking out after allegedly being forced to wear a homophobic name tag at his job at a fast-food Mexican restaurant.

Tyler Brandt, 16, says his manager at Taco John's in Yankton was agitated with him and verbally abusive from the time he first started working there, according to local news station KELO. The situation came to a head on Monday, June 23, when he said the manager gave him a name tag that read "Gaytard."

"I put it on because I didn't want to upset him and I felt that if I did do anything to upset him, it would cause me to lose my job because he'd be looking for ways to fire me," Brandt told the station. He said he tried to remove the tag during the day but that the manager forced him to wear it in front of customers for his shift.

A manager at the restaurant has denied the allegation.

On Tuesday, Brandt went into the establishment with his boyfriend and quit. He handed in his uniform, but kept the name tag for evidence, according to the Yankton Press & Dakotan.

Yankton Taco John manager John Scott, however, has a different story. He told the Press & Dakotan that Brandt chose to wear the offensive name tag.

"From what I understand, they were all joking around," Scott said. "Everyone has a nickname here, and he wanted a nickname. [Gaytard is] what he picked for a nickname. He wasn't forced to wear the name tag. He asked the manager to make that name tag for him. He handed it to him. He didn't tell him he had to wear it. He put it on himself and created the situation. He said the manager forced him to do it. The manager didn't force him to do anything."

The Yankton Taco John's Facebook page has been flooded with one-star reviews following the news. Multiple users blasted the restaurant with comments relating to the alleged discrimination.

Brant and his father are considering suing the restaurant, according to the Associated Press.

A spokeswoman for the company told The Huffington Post: "We believe everyone should be treated with dignity and respect. We take any accusation of workplace harassment very seriously. The type of discrimination that reportedly took place recently in the Yankton, South Dakota, restaurant is deplorable."

The company requires independently owned restaurants to comply with the laws on equal employment and discrimination matters. Since this is an independently owned business, it is an employee matter, the spokeswoman added. Taco John's has notified the business owner and he is investigating the incident. No further steps will be taken until the results of this investigation are revealed.

Earlier this month, Taco John's partnered with STOMP Out Bullying, a bullying-prevention group, in an effort to spread awareness about and put an end to the problem.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on December 19, 2014, 01:38:38 PM
:hmm: Not sure I want to drink vodka with "solwent" in its name.

Wiktor swears by it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2014, 12:03:33 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 19, 2014, 12:02:21 PM
Cabela's...really?

Really.  What do they do?
I was just in Cabela's this past weekend.  They have a great ammo selection. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 19, 2014, 12:58:05 PM
Doesn't look like great market penetration - I wouldn't know about it except that it was mentioned here.

They do (or did) most of their business via their catalog & website.  Haven't you guys ever been camping??

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2014, 02:40:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 19, 2014, 12:58:05 PM
Doesn't look like great market penetration - I wouldn't know about it except that it was mentioned here.

They do (or did) most of their business via their catalog & website.  Haven't you guys ever been camping??

QuoteIf you find yourself trapped in the middle of the woods without electricity, running water, or a car you would likely describe that situation as a "nightmare" or "a worse case scenario like after plane crash or something." White people refer to it as "camping."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on December 19, 2014, 10:09:31 AM
Which of these do you guys recognise (if any)?
Belvedere, Zubrowka, Zywiec, Absolwent, Tyskie, Lech.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2014, 02:40:38 PMHaven't you guys ever been camping??

After my military service I swore I'd never sleep in a tent again. Ever.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Martinus on December 19, 2014, 10:09:31 AM
Which of these do you guys recognise (if any)?

I recognize most of the beer (no Okocim?) and most of the vodka.  I'm not a huge vodka fan, but when I buy a bottle, I always get Luksusowa. :blush:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

Only vodka I really like is Zubrowka :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Off the top of my head I'd think the best known Austrian brands would be Red Bull, Swarovski, Glock, Steyr, and possibly PEZ.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

For some reason I thought Red Bull was Danish. :hmm:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 19, 2014, 03:07:28 PM
Only vodka I really like is Zubrowka :mmm:

Yeah, that's quite a delicacy.  I was introduced to it, on the one hand, as some exciting contraband like absinthe, since bison grass wasn't an approved ingredient in the US; but on the other hand, as a spirit best served in a plastic tumbler with ice cubes and a ton of generic apple juice. :huh:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 19, 2014, 09:37:37 AM
Maryland   GEICO   The Government Employees Insurance Company is based out of Chevy Chase.

Granted, most of Maryland's biggest organizations are government, medical or financial, but because it's only a few blocks north of the DC line on Connecticut Avenue, they label the whole state with it?  That's the corporate brand?  What, nobody's ever heard of Black & Decker? Under Armour? Purdue?  Marriott?

Pfft, weak.

celedhring

I wonder which Spanish brands are the most famous ones abroad. Wouldn't surprise me if they were the "I didn't know it was Spanish!" fashion brands like Desigual, Massimo Dutti, Zara or Pull & Bear. That and Marqués de Cáceres.