News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on November 14, 2014, 07:36:44 PM
Has anyone asked if his female colleagues minded? For all we know, that shirt could have been a big in-joke.

Who cares about his female colleagues? This is about what some bitch on an internet blog thinks.

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on November 15, 2014, 03:21:08 AM

I think you can actually worry about both. It doesn't take much time to put on some reasonable clothes, and the idea that somehow that decision, which takes all of 15 seconds, is interfering with his high minded scientisting is a bit silly.

And when you show up on national TV, part of your job is representing yourself, your company, and even your profession.

There have been interesting studies done on mental bandwidth, and it seems to indicate that there is a real upper limit on how much we can process/think about at a given time.  We can get good at things so that they take up less bandwidth, but the amount of bandwidth we have is capped.  Worrying/thinking about one thing will mean something else won't be getting attention, and nobody can truly multi-task at all well.  This feeds into the classic absent minded professor stereotype.  I'm guessing this guy never even thought about "what do you wear on TV", so it probably would take a fair bit of bandwidth to even start.  Personally I'm happy there are people who don't waste their time thinking about stupid crap like that.

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2014, 04:17:42 AM
Quote from: Warspite on November 14, 2014, 07:36:44 PM
Has anyone asked if his female colleagues minded? For all we know, that shirt could have been a big in-joke.

Who cares about his female colleagues? This is about what some bitch on an internet blog thinks.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

From now on I shall comment solely on the outfits worn by female scientists on TV, not on what they have to say. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Berkut on November 15, 2014, 03:21:08 AM
I think you can actually worry about both. It doesn't take much time to put on some reasonable clothes, and the idea that somehow that decision, which takes all of 15 seconds, is interfering with his high minded scientisting is a bit silly.

And when you show up on national TV, part of your job is representing yourself, your company, and even your profession.

:yes: Especially when the organization you represent is funded by the public, which is notoriously fickle on providing funds when employee behavior is considered "inappropriate."

Should this guy's shirt have mattered?  No.  Will it matter when the SJWs start talking about finding ways to withdraw funding for the organization?  Absolutely.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2014, 07:17:20 AM
From now on I shall comment solely on the outfits worn by female scientists on TV, not on what they have to say. :)

Shoot, Ed and Seedy have been doing that for years now.  Late.
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2014, 11:24:46 AM
Forget the pattern - why the hell is the man wearing a bowling shirt to go on tv?

Man up and wear a shirt and tie. :mad:
Exactly.

Christ :bleeding:

QuoteIts not so much that he didnt have the sense to wear something else.  Its that he had that thing made specifically for him.
For his birthday by a female friend who's into the rockabilly style. She was apparently rather touched that he wore that shirt on the biggest day of his career. Which seems a shame.

A shame that could've been avoided with a conservative dress code :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

"Man up" = terrible phrase.

You people don't know how to manage tone, like, at all.

Not like me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2014, 10:54:30 AM
"Man up" = terrible phrase.

There are proper uses for the phrase. Telling somebody to put a noose around their neck is not one of them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I'm not going to go into a huge gender studies exegesis of why it's kind of awful, as it's be sort of self-evident.  I understand the sentiment, though, and the sentiment is valuable.  But we already had a phrase for it, though.  "Grow up."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

"Grow up" is not suitable for saying to a man who's acting like a woman though.  :P

Actually, I don't think I've ever used the phrase myself and been annoyed with it occasionally in tv/movies. /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 15, 2014, 11:08:02 AM
"Grow up" is not suitable for saying to a man who's acting like a woman though.  :P

:lol:

QuoteActually, I don't think I've ever used the phrase myself and been annoyed with it occasionally in tv/movies. /shrug

I'm probably just as annoyed with its overuse.  See also: "It is what it is."  Ugh.
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on November 15, 2014, 11:01:28 AM
I'm not going to go into a huge gender studies exegesis of why it's kind of awful, as it's be sort of self-evident.  I understand the sentiment, though, and the sentiment is valuable.  But we already had a phrase for it, though.  "Grow up."
In terms of possibly sexist phrases, I'll miss 'big girl's blouse' most of all :cry:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Yeah, I'm on the side of the, "You should dress professionally" guys.  I know dress shirts and ties are going out of fashion, but there should be some standards.  Not a fan of the tattoos either, or any tattoos.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017