News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Net Neutrality - Obama shows support

Started by Zanza, November 10, 2014, 01:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

That's the end of the open & free internet you know today & it gets replace by the cable tv model.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Do you mean if ISPs ever find themselves in the situation that they are not subject to net neutrality they will begin charging customers for hits?

Grey Fox

First will come the deals with content providers, I do believe eventually they will turn to charge us for specific access to websites.

If Verizon has a deal with HBO that hits to HBO get better speed, why would it not also charge customers to have that speed to access HBO.

Just like how TV providers have deals that put the best channels in the most popular packages, customers are in-turn charged more for that package.

Admiral Yi

The point I'm trying to get to, is: what are they waiting for?  They're not covered by net neutrality right now.

Grey Fox

They operate in an highly regulated business venture, if you rattle the cage too much you get shutdown. It's better to play nice & let the FCC make the rules. Challenge in courts if you disagree with the rules.

Admiral Yi

OK.  But that brings us full circle.  If they want to do something, but won't, so what?

Grey Fox

The incentive is for the regulator to provide a framework where business can flourish while also protecting the rights & interests of customers.

I believe a neutral internet is necessary part of the modern western life style, just like access to electricity. Regulating that is better than letting big TVco decide how our society functions.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2014, 09:43:40 PM
The point I'm trying to get to, is: what are they waiting for?  They're not covered by net neutrality right now.

The FCC was drafting new rules. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson