News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Next SCOTUS retiree/appointee?

Started by Martinus, October 19, 2014, 03:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2014, 02:01:48 PM
Or maybe they're so overburdened with their caseload that 70 is all they can handle.  I recommend adding some justices right away to ease the burden.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2014, 01:47:54 PM
Now break it down based on how many words in its decisions the Court produces per year. :)

Word length in majority opinions jumped up sharply in the early/mid 70s from about 2500 words to over 4000.  Roughly concurrent with this was an assumption of more substantive duties by Supreme Court clerks.
Also - at the same time, the number of unanimous opinions has trended up steadily since 1946, so presumably fewer concurring and dissenting opinions are being written.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Now this is awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9prhPV2PI

Funnily enough, I recognised Ginsburg immediately.  :ph34r:

Admiral Yi

I don't know anyone else who watches that show.

DGuller

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2014, 03:08:12 PM
I don't know anyone else who watches that show.

I watch it. Only takes a fifth as much effort as watching the Daily Show to stay informed.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?