Treason charge idea considered for UK jihadists

Started by jimmy olsen, October 19, 2014, 06:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

While they're scum of the worst sort, unless they have attacked the British military or government, not sure how they'd be guilty of treason.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29655099
QuoteIslamic State has become one of the most powerful jihadist groups in the world

UK jihadists who travel to Iraq or Syria to fight could be tried for treason, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has said.

He added that such people had "sworn personal allegiance" to Islamic State (IS) and therefore could potentially have committed the offence.

The last UK prosecution for treason was in 1946, when William Joyce was hanged for Nazi propaganda broadcasts.

Committing the offence involves being disloyal to the Crown.

Mr Hammond revealed that UK jihadists could be tried for treason when he was asked a question in the House of Commons by Conservative backbencher Philip Hollobone.

Mr Hollobone is the MP for Kettering

Mr Hollobone said: "Their [UK jihadists'] actions are treachery against Her Majesty, and aiding and abetting enemies of Her Majesty is one of the greatest offences a British citizen can commit."

Mr Hammond replied that there were "a number of offences under English law with which returning foreign fighters can be charged".

He added: "We have had a discussion about the allegiance question. We have seen people declaring that they have sworn personal allegiance to the so-called Islamic State.
'Family pleas for help'

"That does raise questions about their loyalty and allegiance to this country and about whether, as my honourable friend rightly says, the offence of treason could have been committed.

"I will certainly draw his remarks to the attention of the home secretary, who ultimately will be the person who needs to look at this."

Meanwhile, Scotland Yard's head of counter-terrorism Mark Rowley said that "dozens" of UK families have contacted the police in a bid to stop their relatives travelling to fight in Syria.

He also said "many" Britons, known to have travelled to Syria, had now returned to the UK and that police were in the process of attempting to arrest and prosecute them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

The government is in a very odd position when it is on the one hand decrying foreign fighters going to Syria while at the same time spent the last three years actively encouraging armed opposition against the Assad regime.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on October 19, 2014, 06:52:15 AM
The government is in a very odd position when it is on the one hand decrying foreign fighters going to Syria while at the same time spent the last three years actively encouraging armed opposition against the Assad regime.

Well yes they are rather coming late to the party with the realisation that you'll end up with the wrong sort of Jihades (is there a right sort?) .
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 19, 2014, 07:38:46 AM

Well yes they are rather coming late to the party with the realisation that you'll end up with the wrong sort of Jihades (is there a right sort?) .

I suppose one could say the dead sort. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2014, 08:10:08 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 19, 2014, 07:38:46 AM

I suppose one could say the dead sort. -_-

Agreed, the best sort.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Archy

Over here they're thinking of reviving a law of the '70s against mercenaries to fight the people leaving for  Syia

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 19, 2014, 06:04:14 AM
While they're scum of the worst sort, unless they have attacked the British military or government, not sure how they'd be guilty of treason.

Once you've become an expert on English law, be sure to let us know.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2014, 08:54:10 AM

What's weird is that the article speaks about that / Tim could even up William Joyce that the article mentions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Norway actually has a law prohibiting fighting for foreign powers. So it's pretty easy to prosecute them provided you can prove they fought abroad.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on October 19, 2014, 09:21:51 AM
Norway actually has a law prohibiting fighting for foreign powers. So it's pretty easy to prosecute them provided you can prove they fought abroad.

Same in Poland.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2014, 10:45:30 AM

Same in Poland.

Have they prosecuted any of the Polish pilots who served in the RAF during WWII under that law?

Martinus

Quote from: dps on October 19, 2014, 11:20:55 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2014, 10:45:30 AM

Same in Poland.

Have they prosecuted any of the Polish pilots who served in the RAF during WWII under that law?

In fact the Polish government in exile was based in the UK, it was allied to Britain and Polish pilots in RAF were serving as a part of Polish armed forces that were given over to the UK command by the Polish government.

So your idiotic attempt at trolling has: failed.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2014, 09:05:02 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2014, 08:54:10 AM

What's weird is that the article speaks about that / Tim could even up William Joyce that the article mentions.

What's odd about it, is they don't even mention one of the most salient facts about the Joyce case:  He wasn't a British citizen and never had been one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

round them up, put them in plane, tell them it's going to syria, land in Damascus, inform Assad.

Admiral Yi

I could see how kidnapping and executing British citizens might qualify one for treason.  But surely simpler to just charge them with aiding a terrorist organization.