Skunkworks says: Fusion Prototype in 5 Years

Started by Jacob, October 15, 2014, 12:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

This sentence seems odd:

QuoteIt is the size of a jet engine, power airplanes, spaceships, and cities—and they say it will be operative in only 10 years.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2014, 01:15:43 PM
This sentence seems odd:

QuoteIt is the size of a jet engine, power airplanes, spaceships, and cities—and they say it will be operative in only 10 years.
no, not really.
It's small, about the size of a jet engine, and it delivers a lot of power, enough for an 80 000 homes city or an airplane, or a spaceship.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

This sentence seems odd:

It's the size of a dream, and the shape of the future!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2014, 03:23:24 PM
This sentence seems odd:

no, not really.
It's small, about the size of a jet engine, and it delivers a lot of power, enough for an 80 000 homes city or an airplane, or a spaceship.

Yeah but that's not what they wrote. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

If they do it in 50 years I will be impressed.  Of course since I will be 87, probably just having control over your bladder will impress me by that point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

There's no money to be made in cheap and easy power.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2014, 04:35:16 PM
There's no money to be made in cheap and easy power.

Only if you are an industry that uses power.  Which is almost all of them.  But besides enormous money to be made in almost every single industry...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: ulmont on October 15, 2014, 03:47:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2014, 12:47:33 PM
Your Timmysquee of the day: http://sploid.gizmodo.com/lockheed-martins-new-fusion-reactor-design-can-change-h-1646578094

Last year they said it would only take 4 years, so they're at least 2 years behind schedule now:  http://www.dvice.com/2013-2-22/lockheeds-skunk-works-promises-fusion-power-four-years

Fusion tech: the tech that has gone from being perpetually 20 years in the future to perpetually 5 years in the future. Progress!  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2014, 04:38:42 PM
Fusion tech: the tech that has gone from being perpetually 20 years in the future to perpetually 5 years in the future. Progress!  ;)

Eventually it will always next week, like my Senior Project.

grumbler

This sentence seems odd:

Yep.  Missing the "might" between "engine" and "power."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2014, 04:15:44 PM
If they do it in 50 years I will be impressed.  Of course since I will be 87, probably just having control over your bladder will impress me by that point.

If you survive the next 50 years, you will be immortal according to Ray Kurzweil.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/07/how-close-are-humans-to-immortality/

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

This update should have gone in the Fusion Power Megathread! :angry:

This project is what I made the opening post about!

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,9398.0.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point