News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russia's Military Modernization in Jeopardy

Started by Jacob, October 09, 2014, 10:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Man, that really sucks that Russia is having economic problems as a result of their choices in regards to acting like a fucking civilized, modern nation.

I am all broken up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Their decision to sell LNG to China at cut rates isnt looking so good anymore...

Josquius

But...but....the west are weak and cowardly for doing nothing about the Ukraine but levelling pointless little sanctions!!111
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2014, 11:32:33 AM
Man, that really sucks that Russia is having economic problems as a result of their choices in regards to acting like a fucking civilized, modern nation.

I am all broken up.

I know. Heartbreaking.

At the same time, I think it's nice that for once Languish can be united in our tender feelings of pity for the difficulties the Russian military is facing.

Warspite

I hope my pension fund isn't affected by all this.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Jacob

Apparently Russian banks and money exchangers are reporting a shortage in dollars and euros due to skyrocketing demand.

Oh, and apparently the Duma is considering passing a law allowing for the confiscation of foreign assets on behalf of oligarchs, to compensate for loss of investments due to foreign sanctions. I'm no economist, but I don't think that's going to help the Russian economy out that much...

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on October 10, 2014, 11:30:07 AM
Apparently Russian banks and money exchangers are reporting a shortage in dollars and euros due to skyrocketing demand.

Oh, and apparently the Duma is considering passing a law allowing for the confiscation of foreign assets on behalf of oligarchs, to compensate for loss of investments due to foreign sanctions. I'm no economist, but I don't think that's going to help the Russian economy out that much...
If companies are stupid enough to put their capital and technological secrets in Russia, they deserve what they get.  If these companies' shareholders think of such activities as reducible to "political risk" numbers, they also deserve it.

Tamas

But that's the thing with them isn't it? They are the same bunch as in the Ukraine or presently in Hungary: only factor is the power and well being of themselves and the groups keeping them in power and wealth. If the country needs to collapse to keep those, then so be it.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on October 10, 2014, 12:06:44 PM
But that's the thing with them isn't it? They are the same bunch as in the Ukraine or presently in Hungary: only factor is the power and well being of themselves and the groups keeping them in power and wealth. If the country needs to collapse to keep those, then so be it.

I wasn't aware that the current Ukrainian leadership is cut from the same cloth?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 10, 2014, 12:59:01 PM

I wasn't aware that the current Ukrainian leadership is cut from the same cloth?

We'll see how it shakes out, but Poroshenko is businessman with an estimated personal wealth of one billion dollars.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Well, I guess it depends on what part of it you are talking about. The concern is that the oligarchs are as corrupt everywhere. Then there are nationalists as well. The decent people form a narrow wedge in between the two.

DGuller

Poroshenko is an oligarch.  He may be the least worst of oligarchs, and his Kiev cake is to die for, but he's still an oligarch.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 10, 2014, 01:05:12 PM

Poroshenko is an oligarch.  He may be the least worst of oligarchs, and his Kiev cake is to die for, but he's still an oligarch.

That is my impression.  The current government is crooked, the previous government was crooked as one the before that and the one before that.  The next one will likely be crooked.  My hope is that more integration in to European markets will reduce corruption over time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

The law reportedly passed the first reading in the Duma: http://www.businessinsider.com/russian-government-passed-law-allowing-government-to-seize-foreign-assets-2014-10