Amazon adds Tom & Jerry to its online streaming service – but warns of racism

Started by garbon, October 02, 2014, 07:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2014, 09:51:34 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 02, 2014, 09:28:06 AM
There are certain cartoons that were deemed so racist that they weren't in in the Golden Collection; most notably "The Censored Eleven.':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censored_Eleven

The Wiki article says that Warner Brothers was planning to release them as their own disc; but as far as I know that hasn't happened yet.

(Of course you can find them all on YouTube.)

Ed would tap Coal Black's ass for all dat molasses.

Fo' Sho'
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2014, 09:26:48 AM
Racism hell, let's talk about speciesism, and how these kinds of cartoons for decades not only reinforced centuries' worth of negative stereotypes of cats in the Western world, but the portrayal of mice as the "good guys"--the destroyer of crops and the historical carriers of plague and other maladies for both man and livestock. 

So fuck Jerry and his mouse hole with its little Roman archway.

Wasn't that cat (did she have a name) that was a target of pepe le pew sort of a good guy? I mean she had to withstand the advances of a sexcrazed stalker.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Yeah.  But she was mostly just a mute sympathetic victim who had an unfortunate tendency to to get white paint on her in the form of a perfect stripe.

derspiess

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2014, 09:26:48 AM
Racism hell, let's talk about speciesism, and how these kinds of cartoons for decades not only reinforced centuries' worth of negative stereotypes of cats in the Western world, but the portrayal of mice as the "good guys"--the destroyer of crops and the historical carriers of plague and other maladies for both man and livestock. 

So fuck Jerry and his mouse hole with its little Roman archway.

:lol: