News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Japan wants its own early-warning planes

Started by jimmy olsen, September 22, 2014, 12:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Is there a reason they can't just buy more up to date models from the U.S.?

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-wants-own-early-warning-planes-report-051811802.html;_ylt=AwrSyCSsZh9Uqm4A4gjQtDMD

Japan wants its own early-warning planes: report
AFP
23 hours ago

Japan's defence ministry wants to develop its own early-warning aircraft, replacing US-made planes as the Chinese and Russian air forces grow more assertive, a report said on Sunday.

The ministry has asked for an initial 80 million yen ($642,000) from the finance ministry for the next fiscal year starting April to produce a mock aircraft, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

It said that military planners want to complete the development programme for planes featuring advanced surveillance radar by the mid-2020s, to replace Japan's US-made E-2C Hawkeye planes, which are based on a 1960s design.

Japan says it scrambled fighter jets more than 800 times in the last fiscal year to shadow intruding aircraft, mostly from China and Russia. That was the highest number of deployments since the final year of the Cold War in 1989.

Fears of a military clash have heightened since China last November declared an "air defence identification zone" over the East China Sea, which overlaps a similar Japanese zone and covers territory disputed by the two countries.

Sunday's report comes after Japan lifted a self-imposed ban on weapons exports, as Prime Minister Shinzo Abe looks to expand the country's diplomatic and military reach after a long period of economic stagnation.

Defence ministry officials could not be reached to comment on the report.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 22, 2014, 12:25:20 AM

American defense contractors don't donate enough to Japanese political campaigns. :shifty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 22, 2014, 01:07:33 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 22, 2014, 12:25:20 AM

American defense contractors don't donate enough to Japanese political campaigns. :shifty:
Yes.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

The Japanese defense industry has been a lost one for decades.  Time to change that.

MadImmortalMan

They do seem to have been pretty diligent about ensuring they have their own models of everything and the ability to manufacture them rather than simply buying US gear though. I don't think Japan has been slacking when it comes to at least keeping a pilot light on in their war industry.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

I guess it helps a lot that they're traditionally such leaders in related civilian industries- and are struggling in those industries in recent years due to cheaper and more government supported Korean exports
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Germany also seems to need a larger army. Perhaps them and Japan could team up? :unsure: