Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2022, 01:46:14 PM
On supplies the Polish defence minister has confirmed a large convoy of supplies from various NATO members crossed the border today - so we're driving it through Poland.

Good.

From reports, it seems Russian forces are moving into Kiev from several directions and the period of urban combat for control of the capital - however intense it's going to be - is about to start.

celedhring

I know we don't count for much, but our Foreign Minister has publicly backed kicking Russia off SWIFT.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2022, 02:02:05 PM
I know we don't count for much, but our Foreign Minister has publicly backed kicking Russia off SWIFT.

So has, surprisingly, Austria.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Russian forign ministry has confirmed that Lavrov still plans to attend a UN meeting in Geneva next week. He plans to attend a meeting of the UN Council on Human Rights and speak at a disarmament conference. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Everyone's coming round now - the Ukrainian Foreign Minister has posted that Italy is also going to back kicking Russia off SWIFT.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2022, 02:08:07 PM
Everyone's coming round now - the Ukrainian Foreign Minister has posted that Italy is also going to back kicking Russia off SWIFT.

Germany has also signaled they'd be open to it.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Italy will declare a three month state of emergency to make it easier to budget funds and men into the NATO High Readiness Force.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The Association of European Journalists has called for a ban of RT across Europe.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 25, 2022, 02:11:15 PM
The Association of European Journalists has called for a ban of RT across Europe.
I'm a little dubious on that because - as we saw with Deutsche Welle - the immediate and obvious response is for Russia to expel Western journalists.

I think the propaganda impact of RT is limited to negligible in comparison to the value of having Western correspondents reporting in Russia.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on February 25, 2022, 12:48:52 PM
Well... more like being allowed to buy a home insurance policy when an arsonist is saying "I may burn your house down if you're not careful."
That would still be a bad risk for insurance company to take.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on February 25, 2022, 12:22:02 PM
F1 racing and international ski and tennis competitions in Russia are also cancelled. I expect we'll see all sport and cultural arrangement cancelled, with very few exceptions.

Open question about World Cup qualifiers where Russia was supposed to play Poland for a chance at qualifying.

FIFA bans Russia and gives the Ukraine the opportunity?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on February 25, 2022, 06:51:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2022, 06:37:46 AM
Apparently the German government spokeperson avoided the subject of granting asylum to Ukraine's president if he was seeking it, saying that's something to address when it becomes an issue.

WTF Germany.
"Can you comment on this hypothetical thing?" "Let's see when it actually happens."

We gave Navalny asylum after all.

What is there to see?  :huh:

mongers

Another reason for allowing Finland and especially Sweden in is, if both neutral countries were occupied by Putin, that would fatally undermine to defences of two existing NATO members, Norway and Denmark.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2022, 02:13:37 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 25, 2022, 02:11:15 PM
I'm a little dubious on that because - as we saw with Deutsche Welle - the immediate and obvious response is for Russia to expel Western journalists.

I think the propaganda impact of RT is limited to negligible in comparison to the value of having Western correspondents reporting in Russia.

I agree on that. Besides, blocking them online will be a lot harder (though I guess they'd rather reach people who are on the whole less media savvy and largely rely on linear TV for their news).
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2022, 02:27:20 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 25, 2022, 06:51:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2022, 06:37:46 AM
Apparently the German government spokeperson avoided the subject of granting asylum to Ukraine's president if he was seeking it, saying that's something to address when it becomes an issue.

WTF Germany.
"Can you comment on this hypothetical thing?" "Let's see when it actually happens."

We gave Navalny asylum after all.

What is there to see?  :huh:

The obvious response is whether there is ever a request.  The Ukraine leader has said he is staying put and so it is probably wise not to undermine that message with talk of what will happen if he leaves.