Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

The twitter thread that Tyr linked earlier is excellent https://twitter.com/i/lists/1495741140452225026

Sometimes gruesome videos show up there, like a video where the corpses of Russians in Ukrainian uniforms were shown liquidated. Knowing that it's probably just scared conscripts getting executed makes me sad. War is hell.

celedhring

Quote from: Threviel on February 25, 2022, 04:06:42 AM
The twitter thread that Tyr linked earlier is excellent https://twitter.com/i/lists/1495741140452225026

Sometimes gruesome videos show up there, like a video where the corpses of Russians in Ukrainian uniforms were shown liquidated. Knowing that it's probably just scared conscripts getting executed makes me sad. War is hell.

I doubt you're sending conscripts to an infiltration operation.

But yes, war is a terrible thing. People keep forgetting that.

Threviel

Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2022, 04:16:30 AM
Quote from: Threviel on February 25, 2022, 04:06:42 AM

I doubt you're sending conscripts to an infiltration operation.

But yes, war is a terrible thing. People keep forgetting that.

Yeah, there was another video where civilians had captured a Russian soldier in the night. The soldier on his knees and heavily tattooed hands touching him. Horrifying, I have no doubts as to that poor fellows fate even if the video itself showed nothing.

And of course there's no way to know the veracity of any of it.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on February 25, 2022, 03:56:20 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 24, 2022, 11:32:21 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 24, 2022, 11:26:44 PM
I've always been at least partially skeptical Ukrainians, in broad number, will really keep fighting once the government is beaten. I suspect their trouble making will be more akin to Maidan stuff, when the Russian puppet is installed they'll do big demonstrations etc, which will be put down harshly, and then repeated periodically in some sort of effort to undermine the regime. Maybe I am wrong, but it's not that common that I've seen for conquered Europeans to put up a big fight, look at Poland, Hungary, the Baltics, Germany after WWII etc etc. Europeans being ruled by other white Europeans I think you get a lot of tacit passivity. It's just a different formula from Muslims who live in mud huts being conquered by infidels, those people don't value their lives or the lives of their family--Afghans for example barely care about their families at all (they regularly sell their children.) There's a level of barbarism you need to engage in Muslim / tribal people style insurgent violence that even the Eastern Europeans are simply too civilized to do on a wide scale I think.

The Chechens did it for the obvious reason.
Western Ukrainians resisted the Soviets for a decade after the end of WWII, despite the obvious consequences for them.

Exactly. And partisan warfare in the Baltics continued into the 50s.

Same in Poland. My in-laws took me to the memorial place in some remote forest where the last group is understood to had taken their last stand

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on February 25, 2022, 04:40:12 AM

:hmm:

Urns are far easier to hide from the folks back home than coffins, I guess.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Threviel on February 25, 2022, 03:09:58 AM
Apparently the Russians used captured Ukrainian vehicles and uniforms to spearhead a column into Kiev. Seeing comments on twitter about how this is underhanded and dirty. Well. Doh! It's war, all bets are off and it amazes me that serious commenters seem surprised that there are shenanigans afoot.

By the laws of war soldiers fighting out of uniform are subject to execution.

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on February 24, 2022, 08:13:49 PM
Somewhat disappointed that BBC News channel is 'branding' it as "the Russia-Ukraine Conflict."

Whereas Al Jazeera News has moved from "Russian - Ukrainian Crisis" to "Russia Attacks Ukraine", that's from yesterday, the start of the invasion.

Why dissapointed? It's a conflict no?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

https://twitter.com/UkraineLive2022/status/1497106587877584896

This guy reporting he saw Ukrainian men being force conscripted before reaching the Polish border. I am conflicted about this.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on February 25, 2022, 04:41:57 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 24, 2022, 08:13:49 PM
Somewhat disappointed that BBC News channel is 'branding' it as "the Russia-Ukraine Conflict."

Whereas Al Jazeera News has moved from "Russian - Ukrainian Crisis" to "Russia Attacks Ukraine", that's from yesterday, the start of the invasion.

Why dissapointed? It's a conflict no?

It would be better to find a title that makes it clear it is Russia's sole responsibility. I don't think you'd be happy to call WW2 the "Germany-Britain Conflict"

Syt

Russian T-72 in Ukraine (the truck has one of the "Z" markings, so very likely current) flying the Soviet flag.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497128689384919040

[Insert Russia => USSR clip from Simpsons]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2022, 04:42:33 AM

This guy reporting he saw Ukrainian men being force conscripted before reaching the Polish border. I am conflicted about this.

I was conscripted into the Swedish army. BFD
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2022, 04:41:00 AM
Urns are far easier to hide from the folks back home than coffins, I guess.

The pessimist in me thinks it also avoids having to use mass graves to dispose of other dead that could be dug up/found in the future. *cough*Katyn*cough*

(Though I don't think these crematoriums would have sufficient capacity to handle, say, a Ukrainian version of Srebrenica.)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2022, 04:43:26 AM
It would be better to find a title that makes it clear it is Russia's sole responsibility. I don't think you'd be happy to call WW2 the "Germany-Britain Conflict"

I can't think of any war who's name specifies the aggressor.

Except that some Southerners refer to the US Civil War as "The War of Northern Aggression."

Threviel

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2022, 04:42:33 AM

Such is war. For the Ukrainian state this is a total war so all eligible citizens must join the fight. I'm not conflicted, it is the correct move, but it is heart breaking that it must come to this.