Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Sounds better than I expected, although I have no idea how much Russia relies on European capital markets.

The Larch

Does the Russian military finance itself directly from banks?  :hmm:

The Brain

Sanctions need to target much more than stuff connected to those territories.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Putin: I declare the post-cold war world order over and Ukraine to be a country with no right to exist!
The UK: This is unacceptable, as a punishment we now stop making business with 3 specific Russian persons.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on February 22, 2022, 07:33:36 AM
Does the Russian military finance itself directly from banks?  :hmm:

I have no idea. I suppose it means the banks the army uses to operate (paying for stuff).

We'll see when the package is finally passed.

Tamas

Little tidbit on the "staying within current borders thing":

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on February 22, 2022, 07:24:20 AM
Sounds better than I expected, although I have no idea how much Russia relies on European capital markets.
Agreed and better than was being briefed last night which sounded limited to individuals or groups in DNR/LNR.

QuoteThe UK: This is unacceptable, as a punishment we now stop making business with 3 specific Russian persons.
And freeze the assets/sanction five Russian banks branches/operations in the UK. Quite like that Labour pushed for more including withdrawing RT's broadcasting license. And from what I can see, while there's broad support for these measures from Labour, SNP and the Tory backbenches - they all seem to be pushing for more which is good. I hope they're successful.

Flagged as a "first tranche" but I feel all of this - with the exception of NordStream 2 - is very weak. I get that there's a balance between wanting to keep the big items in reserve for a further invasion given that's expected, but I think this isn't enough and will probably make Putin think that the threat for any further invasion is relatively low.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on February 22, 2022, 08:20:58 AM

I.e., Putin has not yet decided.  :P

celedhring

What I get from this is that this Peskov fellow absolutely has no fucking idea what's going on.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on February 22, 2022, 08:20:58 AM

Feels like one of my typical work meetings. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Goes to show there's a special skill in these political jobs.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

They asked the leader of the DNR about this:
QuotePushilin said on Vesti just now "Frankly, the issue hasn't been discussed"
:lol: What an awful oversight to not clarify what territory Russia's recognising when he was signing their "friendship and aid" agreement.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 22, 2022, 08:45:05 AM
They asked the leader of the DNR about this:
QuotePushilin said on Vesti just now "Frankly, the issue hasn't been discussed"
:lol: What an awful oversight to not clarify what territory Russia's recognising when he was signing their "friendship and aid" agreement.

It's one of those things where everyone thinks it's completely self evident, and then later realize that there's some serious misalignment.

Again, reminds me of work. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Russian quality. Last thing I saw that was Made in Russia was edible clay. Make of this what you will.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Medvedev's take on NS2:
QuoteDmitry Medvedev
@MedvedevRussiaE
Russia government official
German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has issued an order to halt the process of certifying the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline. Well. Welcome to the brave new world where Europeans are very soon going to pay €2.000 for 1.000 cubic meters of natural gas!
Let's bomb Russia!