Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Yeah it looks like it's happening. This is a defining moment of our time.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2022, 04:34:56 PM
It's mind-boggling that Zelensky is still planning on leaving the country on the eve of invasion.  It looks either criminally stupid or criminally cowardly on his part.

He doesn't want to die.  The Russians may start this with a decapitation strike.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

There's been a few of these videos by the FCDO and MoD - but this one by the FCDO from tonight is pretty striking:
https://twitter.com/FCDOGovUK/status/1494723791393632260?s=20&t=6oxB_ZLjd-ylMaws_BRMAA

I can't think of another way of doing things but it is really interesting to see Western governments saying they think there'll be a pretext and what the most likely ones are. As I say I don't know how much it'll work or if it's a long-term solution but it's a really interesting way to try and deal with the information war and to reduce the "grey space" that Russia can operate in.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

How long could we reasonably expect Ukraine to hold back the Russians before they are overrun?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 18, 2022, 07:36:55 PM
How long could we reasonably expect Ukraine to hold back the Russians before they are overrun?

Weeks/months, if they have even half the metal of the Chechens.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on February 18, 2022, 08:23:13 PM

That's not a fair comparison.  Chechens are fierce warriors, that's pretty much their culture, and the terrain is very conducive to guerilla warfare.  Ukrainian terrain is very conducive to blitzkrieg, for the attacker.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2022, 08:27:19 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 18, 2022, 08:23:13 PM

That's not a fair comparison.  Chechens are fierce warriors, that's pretty much their culture, and the terrain is very conducive to guerilla warfare.  Ukrainian terrain is very conducive to blitzkrieg, for the attacker.
Urban warfare across the world has more similarities as compared to the two landscapes you mention.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

From what I've seen reported, Russians will have a huge advantage in air power and artillery. Ukraine has limited air defense capability, shoulder fired stinger missiles but not too much of the larger, more powerful anti-air defense systems. Maybe the West should have been giving them such systems and training them.

Ukraine has been getting a lot of anti-tank equipment and small arms but I don't know how much of the heavier artillery and armor they have. Ukraine has several hundred thousand military members, active and reserves and have called up reserves. But I assume the Russian forces have more sophisticated weapons, electronics, missiles which will negate some of the Ukrainian numbers.

Ukraine has been in a low key border conflict against Russian activity/encroachment for some years so they must have at least some good experience, but so do Russian forces. US and I assume other nation's trainers have been there for a while though I haven't heard what kind of training has been going on.

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on February 18, 2022, 08:36:57 PM
Urban warfare across the world has more similarities as compared to the two landscapes you mention.
Chechens didn't really resist in the urban warfare.  Yes, the initial attack on Grozny went very badly for the Russians, but that was nothing a million or two artillery shells couldn't fix.  The mountains is where Chechen guerilla warfare really took its toll, and you can argue that Russia never won that war and instead decided to bribe the guerillas.

KRonn

Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2022, 06:08:39 PM
Yeah it looks like it's happening. This is a defining moment of our time.
This has probably been discussed but I haven't read all of this forum. Unless Putin just wants to or feels a need to conquer a portion of Ukraine, I would think this is a conflict that could be avoided. Putin has been insisting that Ukraine can not become a NATO member. If that was his main issue then of course it's not really a problem since at least some NATO countries don't want Ukraine to be a member. And I can understand Putin's point of not having more NATO nations on his border.

All that said though, it appears obvious that Putin wants more than just a buffer between Russia and NATO. He wants part of Ukraine or even to bring Ukraine back into Russia as a part of bringing other former Soviet republics into Russia. That's something he has talked about and seems determined on, but obviously it's a very tough path for him and Russia.

HVC

If russias real concern is having nato on its border then taking a chunk of Ukraine and thus moving its border closer to NATO seems counterproductive
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on February 18, 2022, 09:49:03 PM
If russias real concern is having nato on its border then taking a chunk of Ukraine and thus moving its border closer to NATO seems counterproductive

Well, they would be next to Hungary, which is fake NATO.

Heard on NPR that these troops on the border are 60% of Russia's troop strength.

Legbiter

Quote from: KRonn on February 18, 2022, 08:55:41 PMFrom what I've seen reported, Russians will have a huge advantage in air power and artillery. Ukraine has limited air defense capability, shoulder fired stinger missiles but not too much of the larger, more powerful anti-air defense systems. Maybe the West should have been giving them such systems and training them.

Yeah any Ukrainian military formations will be obliterated by artillery and air power if the Russians decide to invade. They'll be annihilated like the Iraqi divisions were in Gulf War II. Getting in will be the easy part for the Russians.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2022, 10:25:28 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 18, 2022, 09:49:03 PM

Well, they would be next to Hungary, which is fake NATO.

Heard on NPR that these troops on the border are 60% of Russia's troop strength.

You have Romania and Poland too
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: Legbiter on February 18, 2022, 10:34:23 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 18, 2022, 08:55:41 PMFrom what I've seen reported, Russians will have a huge advantage in air power and artillery. Ukraine has limited air defense capability, shoulder fired stinger missiles but not too much of the larger, more powerful anti-air defense systems. Maybe the West should have been giving them such systems and training them.

Yeah any Ukrainian military formations will be obliterated by artillery and air power if the Russians decide to invade. They'll be annihilated like the Iraqi divisions were in Gulf War II. Getting in will be the easy part for the Russians.

Yeah, the Ukrainians army is probably screwed if russia invades. Hopefully any armaments the west provided will at least bloody the Russians. The occupation is another matter.