Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/putin-vows-to-protect-russians-in-southeastern-ukraine-from-nationalists/553436.html

QuotePutin Vows To Protect Russians in Southeastern Ukraine from Nationalists

President Vladimir Putin said he will protect Russians living in southeastern Ukraine from what he described as being "eaten up" by Ukrainian "nationalists," according to an interview broadcast Sunday.

"We proceed from only one thing, which is we cannot abandon the people who live in the southeast of the country to nationalists to eat them up," Putin told the state-run Rossia television network.

Those people include "not only ethnic Russians, but also Russian speakers who are looking toward Russia," Putin said. "There is nothing excessive in that position."

He did not elaborate. Moscow claims Russian speakers are persecuted in Ukraine, and said last year, during the annexation of Crimea, that it sought to protect Russians and to support the drive of separatist insurgents in Ukraine's southeast.

But many of Kiev's government troops which are battling the insurgents also speak Russian, belying Moscow's claim.

Western governments accuse Russia of providing fighters and weapons to the separatists, but Moscow has long denied the accusations and claimed all of its citizens fighting alongside the rebels are independent "volunteers."

But during his annual news conference on Thursday, Putin conceded there were "people involved in solving certain issues, including in the military sphere" in eastern Ukraine. He added that this "does not mean that regular Russian troops are present there."

Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko interpreted the comment as an admission of Russia's military involvement.

"Today for the first time the president of the Russian federation has publicly admitted the presence of Russian troops in the Donbass," Poroshenko wrote on his Facebook page.

More than 9,000 people have been killed in fighting in eastern Ukraine since the spring of 2014, according to tally by the United Nations.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Is there still heavy fighting going on?  I don't recall hearing any news of any cities being captured in a very long time...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on December 21, 2015, 08:05:33 AM
Is there still heavy fighting going on?  I don't recall hearing any news of any cities being captured in a very long time...

Not heavy fighting, but fighting / shelling is still near constant over there.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on December 21, 2015, 08:05:33 AM

I was just asking myself that question.

Need to find a up to date analysis of the state of play, anyone read one recently?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Solmyr

CountDeMoney

I declare Russia as the winner.  Next week's special live broadcast two-hour final episode against Team Amarosa should be great!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on July 27, 2016, 08:46:18 PM
Quote from: citizen k on July 27, 2016, 08:44:24 PM

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/can-ukraine-save-itself-from-widespread-corruption/

I don't need to click the link to know the answer to that question.
Yeah, they really need to work on the titles.  "This analysis of the future of Ukraine's corruption will leave you speechless!"

Tonitrus

Were it not for severe professional implications, I might be all about pursuing Ukrainian matchmaking services.  They have them some HOTTies.  :blush:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 27, 2016, 08:58:00 PM
Were it not for severe professional implications, I might be all about pursuing Ukrainian matchmaking services.  They have them some HOTTies.  :blush:

:lol:  Opulence I has it.  And loss of clearance.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 27, 2016, 08:58:00 PM

Have you done a rent vs. buy analysis? I mean, why buy when you can rent at bargain basement prices.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi