Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 27, 2015, 01:17:20 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 27, 2015, 01:13:40 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 27, 2015, 11:55:38 AM
Heh, Greece of all countries is the top Eurozone spender in terms of GNP. Surprised it hasn't been cut, although I guess there's some good cronyism-related explanation for it.

The Greek posters over at Paradox kept bitching about some kind of deal for German submarines that had more pork than the Oktoberfest. Apparently German companies are the 2nd biggest supplier of the Greek army.

Same happened with a deal about German submarines in Portugal.

You're right, the German submarines thing was in Portugal, the Greek scandal involved Siemens.

Zanza

Nah, German companies sold submarines to the Greeks and the Portuguese. And just about everybody else who asked nicely. ;)

Until about 2000, German companies could deduct foreign bribes as business expenses from their German taxes.  :lol:

The Larch

Funnily enough, when I searched in Wiki about the "Siemens scandal" looking for the Greek case, I found another military procurement scandal involving Siemens and other companies and the Japanese navy...in 1914.  :lol:

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Zanza on February 27, 2015, 11:06:03 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2015, 11:05:31 AM
What did you do with all the ones you had in the '80s?  Turn them into planters?
Sold them or gifted them to allies.

Were some of them mothballed or did we get rid of all surplus vehicles, so as to not having to pay for storage?

I recently read a strategic assessment of NATO Forces from the mid 80s. The Bundeswehr used to have around 6000 MBTs (Leo 1s and 2s combined). In addition, several hundred M48 Pattons were kept in reserve for the Heimatschutzbataillone (basically a second rate reserve force purely for local defense). IIRC we are now down to little more than 200 MBTs in total.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Who knew that 1.4% of Germany's economy bought so little?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

"What are we supposed to use, strong language?"

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2015, 01:54:52 PM
Who knew that 1.4% of Germany's economy bought so little?
The focus recently was on building Kindergartens for the female soldier's kids.  :)

Admiral Yi

Germany has gone full Belgium.  You never go full Belgium.  :(

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on February 27, 2015, 01:59:51 PM
The focus recently was on building Kindergartens for the female soldier's kids.  :)

Well I guess I can see that.  Every baby German is a national treasure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malicious Intent on February 27, 2015, 01:49:07 PM
I recently read a strategic assessment of NATO Forces from the mid 80s. The Bundeswehr used to have around 6000 MBTs (Leo 1s and 2s combined). In addition, several hundred M48 Pattons were kept in reserve for the Heimatschutzbataillone (basically a second rate reserve force purely for local defense). IIRC we are now down to little more than 200 MBTs in total.

That's not just your basic pretentious Euroweenie Balls of Light pacifist bullshit, that's outright negligence.  But, as we all know, Germans never do anything in moderation.

celedhring

The peace dividend was pretty hefty in side of the Atlantic. Shareholder value indeed.  :P

derspiess

And to think we had all those magazine articles in 1990 fearing a unified Germany with a strong military. 

Gott strafe Deutschland :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on February 27, 2015, 11:04:55 AM
German defense minister is now discussing whether we need more main battle tanks again.
What's the recent story about Germany not selling or providing tanks to one of the Baltics? Latvia maybe?

I think I saw it being mentioned in my Twitter feed but with only German articles.

QuoteFunnily enough, when I searched in Wiki about the "Siemens scandal" looking for the Greek case, I found another military procurement scandal involving Siemens and other companies and the Japanese navy...in 1914.  :lol:
From what I understand it's a big scandal in Greece because Germany won't extradite a number of executives accused of quite serious corruption.

QuoteHeh, Greece of all countries is the top Eurozone spender in terms of GNP. Surprised it hasn't been cut, although I guess there's some good cronyism-related explanation for it.
I think everyone agreed that that it was probably a bad idea to set up the choice as being able to fight the Turks OR staying in the Eurozone :lol:

QuoteWho knew that 1.4% of Germany's economy bought so little?
The percent figures are useless. Of Belgium's 1% for example I think something ridiculous like 80% is in HR costs - wages, pensions, benefits etc - which I believe is relatively common in many European countries.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2015, 11:52:11 AM
Part of me would actually almost enjoy watching NATO fall apart, just to watch those pretentious European assholes take all that Russian cock up the ass, in pure 1945 rapey-like style;  unfortunately, that would mean the poor eastern Europeans would have to go through bullshit all over again, and they don't deserve that. 

Too bad there's not some way the Russians could take over France, Germany, Italy, and the Low Countries while leaving the Poles, Czechs, Hungarians, etc. alone.