Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I ain't lending the Germans shit.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

They're probably fresh out of Jews, too.

KRonn

Oh man, the info that article brings out is absurd. What is up with the German military!? Oh how the mighty have fallen! And Germany is the wealthy nation, the robust economy, of Europe, so what's the excuse for having to use broomsticks for guns on their AFVs?

DGuller

Democracies are weak and lacking in resolve up until the moment they need to mobilize.  The reason Putin is deploying his Chewbacca offense is to give Europe an out to stay at 1939 France level of military preparedness.

Razgovory

We are talking about Greens.  They wouldn't buy guns to hold back an invasion of Nazi-zombies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

That photo made me remember this correspondent guy of the biggest Hungarian online news site. He was touring in Donetsk and its area, and on his way back to civilisation he was waiting with his translator/guide at a train stop just on the safe Ukrainian side of things, and he was eating with two Ukrainian soldiers, who were on a short leave before going back to that strategic town that fell during the week. This happened a week or two before the fall, so the journalist was wondering if these two guys were still alive.

They were piss drunk, in their understandable relief of being away from falling artillery shells. One of them asked the journalist to teach him English after the war. Kind of heartbreaking.

CountDeMoney

:(

QuoteParliament: UK, EU 'sleepwalked' into Ukraine crisis

LONDON (AP) — A parliamentary report published Friday accused the British government and European diplomats of "sleepwalking" into the Ukraine crisis, saying there was a "catastrophic misreading" of mood by Europe ahead of the standoff between Russia and Western countries.

The House of Lords' EU Committee said foreign ministries in Britain and other European countries have been poorly equipped to draw up an "authoritative response" to the crisis partly because they lack expertise on Russia.

"The (British) government has not been as active or as visible on this issue as it could have been," the committee said.

It also said that for too long the EU had been optimistic about Russia's democratic development, and as a result Europe failed to realize the depth of Russian hostility when the EU opened talks on Ukraine in 2013.

Earlier this month, Britain's former senior NATO commander General Richard Shirreff said British Prime Minister David Cameron's failure to act over Ukraine had turned him into a "foreign policy irrelevance."

France and Germany have led the diplomatic process to hammer out a cease-fire deal with their Russian and Ukrainian counterparts.

Britain's Foreign Office said no one could have predicted the scale of the "unjustifiable and illegal" Russian intervention in eastern Ukraine, and that it is for the Ukrainian people to decide whether they want a closer relationship with the EU.

Ed Anger

The UK is just a joke nowadays. Only worth it in the value of its airbases.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

I'm shocked, shocked, that Germany, France and the UK would "sleep-walk" into and mishandle a territorial dispute in Central-Eastern Europe.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2015, 10:54:28 PM
We are talking about Greens.  They wouldn't buy guns to hold back an invasion of Nazi-zombies.

They might buy locally-sourced organic guns that fire environmentally friendly biodegradable ammo.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Zanza

German defense minister is now discussing whether we need more main battle tanks again.