A Man In Madhya Pradesh Is Marrying A Transgender Woman With Family Blessings

Started by garbon, July 17, 2014, 08:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/a-man-in-madhya-pradesh-is-marrying-a-transgender-woman-with

QuoteAccording to the Hindustan Times, Shadab Hasan, 29, and Sanjana, 30, will be married later this year, after the Muslim holiday Eid. Sanjana, a transgender woman, and Hasan have been in a relationship for nine years. Hasan had previously been engaged to a woman of his family's choosing and was scheduled to marry her on June 7, but towards the end of May, his family relented and accepted his wish to marry Sanjana instead.

"They called me home to tell me they had accepted me as their daughter-in-law," Sanjana told a Hindustan Times reporter. "Our families have met and preparations for marriage are on."

Sanjana's family, too, has come around to her decision to marry Hasan. Her brother used to violently rebuke her for her gender identity and sexual orientation, but has now given the couple his blessing.

The couple say they have "been through a lot of emotional turmoil" over the past nine years.

Hasan's sister, Nazma, and brother-in-law, Saleem, were the only allies the couple had. Now they have promised to let Sanjana and Hasan raise their 3-year-old daughter, Shifa.

Sanjana works as a counselor for a community-based organisation that serves India's self-identified third-gender population.

"We have always been rebuked by families, friends, and relatives," she said. "As a teenager, I have lived and followed the traditions of eunuchs, danced in gatherings, and even traveled to far-off places to fend for myself. Going to college was a nightmare, and I visited my family only after it was dark. It seemed life was heading nowhere. But now it is all over."

That kind of reminds me of how great-great grandparents acquired a child through friends "donating" them a fairly grown child. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 17, 2014, 09:35:39 PM
Too fat, too old.  (That's called equality, brother.)

Sure. Game on once people stop assaulting folks just because they are transgender.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

It does strike me that the husband would have made the better woman. But good for them.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017