News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

shit to do in LA

Started by Caliga, July 04, 2014, 07:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I'll be in LA on business for a week in October, spending most of that time at a conference in Santa Barbara.  Princesca has decided to tag along again, but unlike last year when we were in Anaheim there isn't anything obvious for her to do while I'm in meetings.  I did however take some PTO at the beginning and end of the trip and we'll be renting a car so we can go do stuff.

I'm flying in and out of Bob Hope so I figured we could probably visit Hollywood when we arrive and before we drive to Santa Barbara.

Other suggestions?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

I would much rather be in Santa Barbara than LA.  In fact I will be soon  :)

I could happily spend a few weeks in the Santa Ynez Valley, just north of Santa Barbara.  Santa Barbara itself has some very nice restaurants.  Here is one that I really liked the last time I was there.  http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/69/1627870/restaurant/Downtown-State-Street/Scarlett-Begonia-Santa-Barbara

There are a lot to choose from.  Just stroll around the town centre and take it all in.

She could also just spend a day walking along the ocean. It will be cooler and less crowded in October so pretty much perfect.

garbon

Hollywood isn't really that nice, apart from I guess West Hollywood. From my sojurns in LA, best places to be are really from West Hollywood towards coast and north and then down a long coast through into Marina del Rey.

Anywhere along those bits of coast is nice to hang out (well not nice but kind of amusing for Venice). Brentwood through Mid-City West for eateries/shopping. Getty Museum is also in Brentwood.

I guess there's also the LaBrea tarpits and Universal City Walk but I can't really speak to those as I haven't seen either since the 90s.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Yeah, if one were to leave Santa Barbara to go to LA then Santa Monica and the Getty would be good places to go.  And seeing Venice is an experience...

garbon

This iconic bit is such a treat.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

The basketball courts just beside that are very nice.  :)

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2014, 08:33:37 AM
I would much rather be in Santa Barbara than LA.  In fact I will be soon  :)
cc, in general I agree.  This will be my fourth trip to SB.  Thanks for the restaurant tip. :)

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2014, 09:04:16 AM
Yeah, if one were to leave Santa Barbara to go to LA then Santa Monica and the Getty would be good places to go.  And seeing Venice is an experience...
Been to Santa Monica before, but just barely.

My boss (who is originally from OC) suggested we check out Solvang, which I guess is a Danish colony up the coast and inland from SB.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on July 04, 2014, 09:33:30 AM

My boss (who is originally from OC) suggested we check out Solvang, which I guess is a Danish colony up the coast and inland from SB.

Yep, its worth seeing as you tour the wineries in the area.  There are also some interesing micro breweries and distilleries if wine isnt your favourite thing.

garbon

From my childhood memories of Solvang, meh. So tacky! :D

Jaron

Do not forget to check out Portos bakery if you are flying in to Bob Hope. They serve Cuban food that is unparalleled in quality anywhere I have eaten. Their potato balls, meat pies and guava & cheese pastry are excellent.

You might also check out Forest Lawn cemetery - final resting place of the stars. Last time I went they had a cool exhibit on stained glass windows.

If you both have time, because it takes a few hours, you can also charter a cruise to check out the Channel Islands more closely. They even have no landing cruises if you just want to look but not touch. The Pacific Ocean is truly amazing!

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2014, 09:38:01 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 04, 2014, 09:33:30 AM

Yep, its worth seeing as you tour the wineries in the area.  There are also some interesing micro breweries and distilleries if wine isnt your favourite thing.

Yes, this. Skip LA and go north. Vandenburg, (I haven't been to Solvang but it looks cool), do some wine tasting in SLO and Paso, and Firestone Walker.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: Jaron on July 04, 2014, 10:39:34 AM
Do not forget to check out Portos bakery if you are flying in to Bob Hope. They serve Cuban food that is unparalleled in quality anywhere I have eaten. Their potato balls, meat pies and guava & cheese pastry are excellent.

You might also check out Forest Lawn cemetery - final resting place of the stars. Last time I went they had a cool exhibit on stained glass windows.

If you both have time, because it takes a few hours, you can also charter a cruise to check out the Channel Islands more closely. They even have no landing cruises if you just want to look but not touch. The Pacific Ocean is truly amazing!

Sadly for some posters big != amazing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

The LA hate is palpable. :angry: