News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mensa Starts Dating Site

Started by jimmy olsen, June 25, 2014, 10:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2014, 10:53:49 PM
I wish there were some legit IQ tests online, I've always wondered what mine was.  :hmm:

I took one once and it said my IQ was over 130, and then promptly offered me membership of something called High IQ Society or some such for only $50. Not sure if it was part of the test or not. :hmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2014, 08:10:25 AM
I'm still waiting for a dating site which categorizes me based on my LSAT score.  :(

Is your wife aware of this? :hmm:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

I don't get the hate for Mensa.  There is nothing snobby about it, it's just a club where you can discuss things with other intelligent people, and take a break from Languish.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on June 26, 2014, 08:59:51 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2014, 08:10:25 AM
I'm still waiting for a dating site which categorizes me based on my LSAT score.  :(

Is your wife aware of this? :hmm:

I don't think she ever knew my LSAT score.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on June 26, 2014, 09:12:29 AM
I don't get the hate for Mensa.  There is nothing snobby about it, it's just a club where you can discuss things with other intelligent people, and take a break from Languish.

It's the notion of having a certificate stating that you are, indeed, part of an elite based on a test. It strikes many that trying out for such an "honour" is a sign of insecurity.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Never took a legit IQ test, but you can estimate your IQ based on your SAT or GRE scores at this website.

http://www.braingle.com/mind/iq/convert.php?year=3&satm=800&satv=740&grev=&greq=&calculate=Calculate+IQ

If you take my best score from each section, I come up with 161; if you take the lowest I get 147. (I took the test twice) :smarty:

I've may have killed some brain cells since then though.   :homestar:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2014, 09:26:45 AM
It's the notion of having a certificate stating that you are, indeed, part of an elite based on a test. It strikes many that trying out for such an "honour" is a sign of insecurity.
I agree.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

I sort of want to join the group. I wonder if they take old SAT scores (or if I can find my old SAT scores).  :ph34r:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Caliga

I just don't see the point.  It's one thing to join say an ethnic heritage club, since you may want to learn more about your heritage from others who share it and may have anecdotes that you find useful in understanding your upbringing, etc.  But really what MENSA boils down to is: you took a test and got a high score.  It may well be a fluke that you even achieved said score.  I don't see what 'smart' people really have in common just by virtue of being smart.  I don't think there's even a consensus on what being intelligent really means or how it can be realistically measured.  In fact, because there's no consensus, I think everyone likes to imagine that they're 'smart' because it's not something that can be easily disproven, like athletic prowess for example.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2014, 09:26:45 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 26, 2014, 09:12:29 AM

How will anyone know that you're smart without such a certificate?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on June 26, 2014, 09:51:48 AM

How will anyone know that you're smart a dork without such a certificate?

Fixed.
See guys Mensa does serve a useful purpose, just perhaps not the one intended.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2014, 09:45:12 AM
I just don't see the point.  It's one thing to join say an ethnic heritage club, since you may want to learn more about your heritage from others who share it and may have anecdotes that you find useful in understanding your upbringing, etc.  But really what MENSA boils down to is: you took a test and got a high score.  It may well be a fluke that you even achieved said score.  I don't see what 'smart' people really have in common just by virtue of being smart.  I don't think there's even a consensus on what being intelligent really means or how it can be realistically measured.  In fact, because there's no consensus, I think everyone likes to imagine that they're 'smart' because it's not something that can be easily disproven, like athletic prowess for example.

I think it could be fun to see who is in the club, and what they are like. Also, and I realize this would have to be very selective, it is an opportunity to humble brag (maybe have some old mensa crap in a nook at your house, some guest is like, what's this? and you are like, yeah, i joined for a meeting or two, but they are a bunch of elitist assholes that aren't even elite, those iq tests are bullshit anyway.)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2014, 09:35:52 AM
Never took a legit IQ test, but you can estimate your IQ based on your SAT or GRE scores at this website.

http://www.braingle.com/mind/iq/convert.php?year=3&satm=800&satv=740&grev=&greq=&calculate=Calculate+IQ

If you take my best score from each section, I come up with 161; if you take the lowest I get 147. (I took the test twice) :smarty:

I've may have killed some brain cells since then though.   :homestar:
According to the SAT calc my IQ is 133
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Well fuck. It seems Mensa stopped taking SAT scores in 1994. You have to pass a proctored test that costs $50. My dream of joining Mensa has been crushed after just 30 minutes.  :cry:

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2014, 09:54:43 AM
I think it could be fun to see who is in the club, and what they are like.
:hmm: I wonder if you can go to MENSA meetings without actually joining?