Boehner to sue President Obama for not faithfully executing laws

Started by jimmy olsen, June 25, 2014, 06:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'm sure this will go over wonderfully with the electorate in an election year.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/john-boehner-lawsuit-president-obama-108298.html

QuoteJohn Boehner: President Obama hasn't 'faithfully' executed laws

By LAUREN FRENCH | 6/25/14 12:48 PM EDT Updated: 6/25/14 3:48 PM EDT

House Speaker John Boehner said he plans to move forward with a lawsuit against President Barack Obama for misusing executive powers.

"The Constitution makes it clear that a president's job is to faithfully execute the laws. In my view, the president has not faithfully executed the laws," the Ohio Republican said on Wednesday. "When there are conflicts like this between the legislative branch and the administrative branch, it's ... our responsibility to stand up for this institution."

House Republicans have argued that Obama is misusing his executive powers by side-stepping Congress on immigration and other policies, including a decision to extend family leave to same-sex couples and bar federal contractors from discriminating against gay employees.

In a memo to Republicans circulated Wednesday afternoon, Boehner accused Obama of asserting "king-like authority."

(Also on POLITICO: Pelosi: Boehner lawsuit is 'subterfuge')

The memo sent to the GOP conference mentioned executive actions on health care, energy, foreign policy and education, but did not delve into specific orders. The speaker's office has not outlined what specific executive orders or actions the suit will cover, but Boehner said the lawsuit was not about convening impeachment proceedings against Obama.

No action on the lawsuit would occur until after the House returns from its holiday recess that begins Thursday afternoon. In the memo, Boehner said he will bring legislation to the floor in July after it is considered by the Rules Committee.

The lawsuit would be brought through the House General Counsel and the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group — a standing group of party leaders: the speaker, plus the majority and minority leaders and whips from both parties.

It's possible that if the lawsuit goes forward, it could take longer to work through the court than the roughly two-and-a-half years Obama will remain in office.

(Also on POLITICO: How Cochran bounced back from disaster)

Still, Boehner said, the lawsuit is about protecting the Constitution and Congress.

"What we've seen clearly over the last five years is an effort to erode the power of the legislative branch," Boehner said. "On behalf of the institution and the Constitution, standing up and fighting for this is the best long-term interest of the Congress."

White House press secretary Josh Earnest said Wednesday he was not sure if Boehner's office gave the administration a heads up on the lawsuit.

"In this case it seems that Republicans have shifted their opposition into a higher gear. Frankly, I didn't know it was a gear that even existed," Earnest said. "They are considering a taxpayer funded lawsuit against the president of the United States for doing his job... [It's] the kind of step that I think most Americans wouldn't support."

(Also on POLITICO: EPA joins IRS lost emails club)

Democrats have widely dismissed the lawsuit as a political stunt. Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Steve Israel said it was a "reprehensible waste of taxpayers' money and a desperate political stunt."

Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi described the suit as "subterfuge."

Jennifer Epstein contributed to this report.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

About fucking time.
These big government republican faggots need to grow a back bone.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ideologue

I wish Obama would dissolve Congress and rule as a dictator.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on June 25, 2014, 07:09:07 PM
I wish Obama would dissolve Congress and rule as a dictator.

I wish Obama would dissolve Tim in a vat of acid.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Obama needs me on staff instead of those punks he has now.

1st item on the agenda: the Anti-Tim act of 2014.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 25, 2014, 07:59:16 PM

Does this affect all Tims or just one Tim?  I have a cousin named Tim.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2014, 08:08:42 PM

Does this affect all Tims or just one Tim?  I have a cousin named Tim.

Just the Aspie.

Razgovory

Actually now that I think of it, I have several cousins named Tim.  You can do what you want with Tim O'Brien.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

QuoteHouse Republicans have argued that Obama is misusing his executive powers by side-stepping Congress on immigration and other policies, including a decision to extend family leave to same-sex couples and bar federal contractors from discriminating against gay employees.

LOLWTF?  I hope that was politico trying to make the Republicans look bad.  If not they sure are are eager to grab the villain mustache and start twirling.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

The name of that act will make it easy for me to get asylum. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on June 26, 2014, 02:50:29 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2014, 07:38:27 PM
No shit.  He'd win my vote.

Big government/high taxes/anti-Constitutional traitor!

:secret:  Obama can't run again, so we're good.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on June 26, 2014, 02:50:29 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2014, 07:38:27 PM
No shit.  He'd win my vote.

Big government/high taxes/anti-Constitutional traitor!

The Big government/anti-Constitutional party shall win over the crap Big government/high taxes/anti-Constitutional party if Siege has anything to say about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2014, 08:30:24 PM
QuoteHouse Republicans have argued that Obama is misusing his executive powers by side-stepping Congress on immigration and other policies, including a decision to extend family leave to same-sex couples and bar federal contractors from discriminating against gay employees.

LOLWTF?  I hope that was politico trying to make the Republicans look bad.  If not they sure are are eager to grab the villain mustache and start twirling.

On the other hand as an outsider I'm having a great deal of difficulty in seeing why said decisions are a legitimate exercise of executive rather than legislative authority. 

Not that I think a lawsuit is anything but a dumb idea.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."