Robots providing better shareholder value than CdM

Started by Valmy, June 24, 2014, 08:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on June 25, 2014, 01:00:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2014, 11:41:18 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 24, 2014, 03:39:37 PM
We desperately need competent roboticians.

Damnit I should have been a mechanical engineer.  Oh well too late now.

Engineers who work with robots over here tend to have degrees in Electronics (or Automation if available). You don't really need an engineering degree though, vocational training might suffice. It's one of those skills you can only acquire on the job (awfully hard to get a robot to tinker with otherwise).
However, some knowledge of mechanics comes handy if you want to become a welding expert as well. Someone who is both a good robotician and welder, is the kind of thing that's really hard to find.

Electronics. Now there's something I should have studied. Those electrical engineering guys have it made
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

I've talked to some guys who said welders don't command the premium they used to, and that a lot of the super high paying underwater welding jobs these days are done by robots.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on June 25, 2014, 03:36:31 PM
Well duh, he does like the French.

They have style, they have class, they failed to kick Ecuador's ass :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2014, 07:37:33 PM
Robots eat old people's medicine for fuel.

And you can't stop them, because robots are strong, and made of metal. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on June 24, 2014, 09:01:13 PM
Berkut's got a pretty great point there.  There's going to come a point where the wealth of society is going to have to be nationalized, or you're going to have to exterminate eight or nine billion people--who will fight back.

Sometimes I don't really care which.  Whether that point is ten, twenty, thirty, or forty years from now, I'll probably have been dead for a while, and even if I'm not, having a distant satisfaction that I was right and most the people I know are blindered idiots would be truly cold comfort.
I can't believe that you think that you invented this concept!  Did you invent the internet, too?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

He doesn't have to be the first person to believe something to be right about it...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2014, 09:11:32 AM
He doesn't have to be the first person to believe something to be right about it...

Except that people have been predicting similar economic apocalyptic outcomes since the early 1800s and none of them have been right...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 26, 2014, 09:18:28 AM

Except that people have been predicting similar economic apocalyptic outcomes since the early 1800s and none of them have been right...

I'm not saying Ide is right; I'm saying grumbler's criticism is inapplicable to the post he quoted.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

He would be if the alternative to believing as he does is to be one of the "blindered idiots."  Not even the (uncredited by him) people who really invented the proposition that he is using proposed that.  Hyperbolic use of someone else's ideas without acknowledging them appears like it is supposed to be an original proposal.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!