I'm predestined to vote yes
9 (30%)
I've decided to vote no
10 (33.3%)
Of course, I have every Rush single
11 (36.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Admiral Yi

Like it says in Sav's story.  The dude pulls the trigger after the other dude dies, and the conclusion is that causality is violated because of the order the acts are performed.  I'm saying maybe that's an incorrect assumption about causality.  Just because an act (pulling the trigger of a tachyon ray gun) comes after the thing it's supposed to cause (dude dying) doesn't mean the first didn't cause the second.

Valmy

So if the shooter sees the man get shot and feels guilt and has second thoughts and decides not to pull the trigger...does the past change?

*head explodes*
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2014, 09:12:59 AM
Like it says in Sav's story.  The dude pulls the trigger after the other dude dies, and the conclusion is that causality is violated because of the order the acts are performed.  I'm saying maybe that's an incorrect assumption about causality.  Just because an act (pulling the trigger of a tachyon ray gun) comes after the thing it's supposed to cause (dude dying) doesn't mean the first didn't cause the second.

But that still eliminates the possibility of free will.  The person dying necessitates the shooter to pull the trigger; even if you state it as his death is the cause of him being shot.  The shooter doesn't have a choice.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

frunk

Quote from: Savonarola on June 05, 2014, 09:55:01 AM
But that still eliminates the possibility of free will.  The person dying necessitates the shooter to pull the trigger; even if you state it as his death is the cause of him being shot.  The shooter doesn't have a choice.

It's moving the point of choice from when the shooter pulls the trigger to when the person is shot.  There's still free will, it just isn't at the moment the shooter pulled the trigger from all reference frames.

PDH

Woody Allen - "Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once."

You folks are too caught up on cause and effect, free will and no free will.  Instead, worry about Ide not having a job.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Savonarola

Quote from: frunk on June 05, 2014, 10:00:49 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 05, 2014, 09:55:01 AM

It's moving the point of choice from when the shooter pulls the trigger to when the person is shot.  There's still free will, it just isn't at the moment the shooter pulled the trigger from all reference frames.

I don't think I'm following here.  Four years ago I build the Death Star with a Tachyon Beam canon with Tachyons which travel at 10 times the speed of light.  I then decide to blow up planet Alderaan which is 10 light years away.  From Alderaan's frame of reference they are destroyed five years before I started building the Death Star.  How can I choose not to build the Death Star when I already used it to destroy Alderaan five years ago?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

frunk

Quote from: Savonarola on June 05, 2014, 10:25:30 AM
I don't think I'm following here.  Four years ago I build the Death Star with a Tachyon Beam canon with Tachyons which travel at 10 times the speed of light.  I then decide to blow up planet Alderaan which is 10 light years away.  From Alderaan's frame of reference they are destroyed five years before I started building the Death Star.  How can I choose not to build the Death Star when I already used it to destroy Alderaan five years ago?

The presumption is that the act of choosing has to occur at the same moment as the action that proceeds from it.  I don't see why that's true.

Maximus

Not being a physicist, I was unaware of the tachyon problem. However the question has come up in the context of computer science. Konrad Zuse proposed that the universe was a cellular automaton, which means that both time and space are discretized at some level and the transition of every state of the universe to the following state is entirely deterministic. If this is the case, and I don't know that it has been disproven, then it would suggest that there is no such thing as free will.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on June 05, 2014, 10:49:45 AM
Not being a physicist, I was unaware of the tachyon problem. However the question has come up in the context of computer science. Konrad Zuse proposed that the universe was a cellular automaton, which means that both time and space are discretized at some level and the transition of every state of the universe to the following state is entirely deterministic. If this is the case, and I don't know that it has been disproven, then it would suggest that there is no such thing as free will.

If that was the case we could save a lot of money by getting rid of the criminal justice system.  Or are we predetermined to waste money on things that dont matter because everything is predetermined?  :hmm:

Maximus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2014, 11:03:01 AM

If that was the case we could save a lot of money by getting rid of the criminal justice system.  Or are we predetermined to waste money on things that dont matter because everything is predetermined?  :hmm:
Either it is true or it is not true. If it is true, we waste money on criminal justice because we are predetermined to do so. If it is not true, we are not wasting money.

In other words, and this is my own take on it, there is no case I can think of where it functionally matters whether this is true or not.

Barrister

I'm not sure how much of a problem a purely hypothetical and never proven to exist tachyon can have.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on June 05, 2014, 11:08:13 AM

Either it is true or it is not true. If it is true, we waste money on criminal justice because we are predetermined to do so. If it is not true, we are not wasting money.

In other words, and this is my own take on it, there is no case I can think of where it functionally matters whether this is true or not.

Except that if it is true predetermination doesnt operate very efficiently.  ;)

Maximus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2014, 11:41:13 AM
Quote from: Maximus on June 05, 2014, 11:08:13 AM

Except that if it is true predetermination doesnt operate very efficiently.  ;)
It still doesn't matter as there are no choices

Ideologue

If that was the case we could save a lot of money by getting rid of the criminal justice system.

Why?  We don't generally ascribe free will to termites, but we don't let them eat our houses.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Under quantum mechanics there are states that can't be predicted despite knowing as much as is possible to know about the system.  This is described pretty well by Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, where the more precisely you know the position of a particle the less certain you are about its velocity and vice versa.

It doesn't exclude the possibility that the universe when viewed from outside of it is deterministic.  If QM holds true, from inside the universe it is impossible to perfectly describe the universe (or even a small portion of it).