News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

They should have just beat them down 14-0.  When people call you out on it say you 'respect Brazil too much to take it easy on them.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I noticed they had a Portuguese audio option for the Germany-Brazil game on the ESPN app.  Might go back & watch the first half with that on just to hear the reactions.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Incomprehensible shrieks of pure noise, or Portuguese? You decide.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

When I read the article on what Hummels said I didn't see it as a "lets take it easy on them and not try hard" but rather "lets not mock brazil while beating them totally". Less a case of not trying to win by the largest margine, more a case of no elaborate end zone style celebrations.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2014, 12:55:28 PM
I noticed they had a Portuguese audio option for the Germany-Brazil game on the ESPN app.  Might go back & watch the first half with that on just to hear the reactions.
I'd be curious to hear Mexican broadcast:

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGOAAAAAAAAAAAAA *cough* *panting* *cough* *panting* *THUD*

Syt

Quote from: Viking on July 11, 2014, 01:01:08 PM
When I read the article on what Hummels said I didn't see it as a "lets take it easy on them and not try hard" but rather "lets not mock brazil while beating them totally". Less a case of not trying to win by the largest margine, more a case of no elaborate end zone style celebrations.

Yeah, that's how I read it, too. Basically, "They're having an off night and we'll win handily. But let's not be dicks about this." Also explains the somewhat subdued post match celebrations, the friendly exchanges between players and coaching staff etc. Additionally, when you know after 30 minutes that you'll win handily, you won't be as overjoyed at the final whistle as when a tight game goes to the wire.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 11, 2014, 12:59:28 PM
Incomprehensible shrieks of pure noise, or Portuguese? You decide.

Rude! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2014, 01:04:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2014, 12:55:28 PM
I'd be curious to hear Mexican broadcast:

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGOAAAAAAAAAAAAA *cough* *panting* *cough* *panting* *THUD*

I have to say I prefer the somber Irish & Brit dudes on ESPN to the TelemundoSabadoGigante spazzoids doing the Spanish language broadcasts.  The Latinos in our group disagree and think the English-speaking announcers are too boring.

Speaking of our FIFA watching group, the Puerto Rican, Peruvian, Mexican, and Colombian contingents are all rooting for Argentina.  The Latin American holdout is a Venezuelan gal who happens to be married to a German guy.  Like that's an excuse :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

Nothing beats former Norwegian radio presenter Bjørge Lillelien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtbZWIcj0bk

"Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me, your boys took one hell of a beating!".

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2014, 12:48:18 PM
They should have just beat them down 14-0.  When people call you out on it say you 'respect Brazil too much to take it easy on them.'

If they had been trying they would have done. I'm sad the didn't get one or two more just to break a few more records.
But it's understandable they didn't try too hard. They have a final to save themselves for. Winning the tournament is more important than a few records
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Not so sure that Qatar was the best choice.  :hmm:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/isis-world-cup-terror-threat-cancel-qatar-2022-094143936.html#axrMXBa

"Dear Joseph,

We had sent a message to you back in 2010, when you decided or were bribed by the former Amir of Qatar to have the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. Now, after the establishment of the Caliphate state, we declare that there will be no World Cup in Qatar since Qatar will be part of the Caliphate under the rule of the Caliph Ibrahim Bin Awad Alqarshi [al-Baghdadi's full name] who doesn't allow corruption and diversion from Islam in the land of the Muslims. This is why we suggest that you will decide upon a replacement country instead of Qatar. The Islamic state has long-range Scud missiles that can easily reach Qatar, as the Americans already know.

Thanks"
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Suddenly I'm beginning to like them. But then Joseph Blatter and FIFA are a greater evil than ISIS can ever aspire to be.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Man, who would have thought some good could come from an extremist medieval Islamic state with access to modern weapon systems.

Josquius

They're just upset the World Cup is getting all the media attention whilst they're doing their thing in Iraq. Any good jihadist knows more media exposure means more donations.
██████
██████
██████