News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2014, 01:04:58 PM
Just read we're likely to face Walloonistan first.  That's a pretty good draw, eh?
Not really, Belgians are pretty good.

FunkMonk

Just read we're likely to face Walloonistan first.  That's a pretty good draw, eh?

Belgium haven't played well so far but they're a good crop of technically gifted, quality players like Eden Hazard. I'd rather take Algeria.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

Any from that group is beatable, the Belgians the least though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Given the other group winners, sure. But it won't be easy.
And then there's Argentina in the next game.

Maladict

Looks like frunk is going to win the group phase  :cheers:

alfred russel

We have advanced through the group of death. I feel as though we are conquering champions.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Klinsmann's done a magnificent job and he deserves all the money from the US Soccer Federation.

derspiess

I'm happy enough.  A tie vs. the Krauts would have been better, but IIRC some were doubting the US would get a point, much less advance.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

FunkMonk

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 26, 2014, 11:27:41 AM
Germany's defense is crap. Unless they get a lot better I don't see Germany winning the World Cup.

I don't watch the Bundesliga so I just don't know, but are there really no good or promising German fullbacks since Lahm has converted to the midfield?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2014, 01:29:42 PM
We have advanced through the group of death. I feel as though we are conquering champions.

Agreed.  The glass is 7/8 full.  As long as we don't get sodomized in the next stage it will be a successful tourney.

Liep

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 26, 2014, 02:09:10 PM
Germany's defense is crap. Unless they get a lot better I don't see Germany winning the World Cup.

I don't watch the Bundesliga so I just don't know, but are there really no good or promising German fullbacks since Lahm has converted to the midfield?

Isn't it just that Lahm is so good he's better used as a defensive playmaker? Guardiola said he was the most intelligent player he ever coached, and he has coached some pretty fucking good players.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2014, 02:15:07 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2014, 01:29:42 PM

Agreed.  The glass is 7/8 full.  As long as we don't get sodomized in the next stage it will be a successful tourney.

I think it will be a successful tourney even with sodomy. The odds of us getting out of the group were considered rather low. Belgium may not be the toughest draw, but we are getting to close to being over our heads and everyone is going to be very highly motivated.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Hansmeister

Almost all left/right defenders in the Bundesliga are foreigners, it is the Achilles heel of german soccer.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Liep on June 26, 2014, 02:26:30 PM

Isn't it just that Lahm is so good he's better used as a defensive playmaker? Guardiola said he was the most intelligent player he ever coached, and he has coached some pretty fucking good players.

Yeah I've heard that and I know Pep uses him there to great effect. I was just wondering since I was under the impression that both Boateng and Hoewedes are natural central defenders, not fullbacks.

Hansmeister

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 26, 2014, 02:36:01 PM
Quote from: Liep on June 26, 2014, 02:26:30 PM

Yeah I've heard that and I know Pep uses him there to great effect. I was just wondering since I was under the impression that both Boateng and Hoewedes are natural center defenders, not fullbacks.

The only left fullback on the team is the 21-year-old Durm, who just finished his first full pro-season for Dortmund. The only alternative for right fullback is Groskreutz, also from Dortmund, who isn't a real fullback, but a jack-of-all-trades.  Germany is missing 3 defensive playmakers due to injuries, while two other were not at %100 at the start of the tournament.