News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ta-Nehisi Coates: The Case For Reparations

Started by jimmy olsen, May 23, 2014, 11:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

A pretty interesting, albeit long article, with a lot of fascinating anecdotes. It has a very misleading title. He's really arguing for affirmative action, the ending of discriminatory laws, and a historical exploration of the issue of white supremacy in America by a government committee, sort of like the equivalent of the South African Truth and Reconciliation Committees. Monetary compensation is barely touched on and when it is talked about, it's more in the vein of class action suits by living victims of racist policies.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Wrong crowd to sell it here on Languish, Timmay.  Blacks lost personal and real property in the 1920's through legally sanctioned theft?  Shouldn't have been black.  That's on them.  ITS ABOUT INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2014, 11:48:38 PM
Wrong crowd to sell it here on Languish, Timmay.  Blacks lost personal and real property in the 1920's through legally sanctioned theft?  Shouldn't have been black.  That's on them.  ITS ABOUT INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY

Yeah, not much sympathy here.  Red lining is the market at work!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I've read about 4 pages so far.  Up till now he hasn't really developed the argument about collective vs. individual responsibility.

Viking

Does he set a threshold or condition or time when affirmative action can be ended?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Seems like a lot of trouble. Would it be easier to just make them slaves/differently equal again?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

imho the people who agreed to colonization in liberia are the ones who might have a good claim for reparations.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Scipio

After I read the article, my first thought was: assuming I agree with his premise (which is by far the most legitimate argument for reparations I've ever read), what next? Answer: nobody fucking knows.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

derspiess

I didn't read anything there I hadn't heard elsewhere. And it just gets plain whiney towards the end. What if all white people just kill themselves-- will that make him happy?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 24, 2014, 01:26:41 PM
I didn't read anything there I hadn't heard elsewhere. And it just gets plain whiney towards the end. What if all white people just kill themselves-- will that make him happy?

check your privilege.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I didn't know before reading it that red lining was FHA policy.  I thought it was something banks did on their own.  Also had never heard of that "rent to own" fake mortgage.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 24, 2014, 01:26:41 PM
What if all white people just kill themselves-- will that make him happy?

Let's start with you and see how it goes, sport.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2014, 01:58:51 PM
Also had never heard of that "rent to own" fake mortgage.

It was a common practice in Baltimore well into the 1970s.

Razgovory

I wonder, if my dad robs a bank and dies and I inherit the money, do I legally get to keep it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2014, 01:58:51 PM
I didn't know before reading it that red lining was FHA policy.  I thought it was something banks did on their own.  Also had never heard of that "rent to own" fake mortgage.

I ran into land contracts a couple times when I worked in cellular.  They're not common but they're still done in rural areas.  They were a nuisance from our perspective because there can be multiple sub-contracts and we needed to get permission from all contract holders in order to build our tower.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock