Man gets no jail time for drugging and raping wife

Started by merithyn, May 22, 2014, 02:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2014, 02:45:57 PM
I think a big part of the problem is rape outrage exhaustion.  Too many acts that are not "decades of prison sentence" terrible are being called rape, so it's easy to become cynical about the whole concept.

That, plus it's a lot harder to prove than murder.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2014, 02:38:23 PM
Rape is just a baffling thing to me.  Supposedly it is just slightly less bad than murder but man it sure easy to get out of it and nobody seems particularly eager to enforce it.  I have speculated that perhaps the penalties should be less draconian...but at the end of the day it is still a felony.  Also it has all these damn gray areas since people consent to sex all the time but rarely consent to being killed.  It is a serious problem but I have no idea what there is to be done about it.

In this case, the guy videotaped the rape with his cellphone, wrote a letter to his wife admitting that he'd drugged and raped her for several years, and admitted in court to drugging her. Not much room for confusion regarding consent.

Often, I hesitate because it's almost always a he said/she said situation. But in this case, he was convicted and admitted it to her in writing.

And the judge's response was to tell the victim that she should forgive the guy because he's had a hard time about all of this.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Rape is just a baffling thing to me.  Supposedly it is just slightly less bad than murder but man it sure easy to get out of it and nobody seems particularly eager to enforce it.  I have speculated that perhaps the penalties should be less draconian...but at the end of the day it is still a felony.  Also it has all these damn gray areas since people consent to sex all the time but rarely consent to being killed.  It is a serious problem but I have no idea what there is to be done about it.

With murder, you often have a dead body lying about, and that needs explaining. With rape, the very sex act may not be easy to prove unless the victim gets themselves to a rape kit pronto; and even proving that, doesn't answer the question of consent. It is especially difficult when dealing with ex-spouses.

None of that applies to the current case in the OP, though. Here, there is according to the article actual video proof produced by the perp himself. The fact of rape was established beyond reasonable doubt by a jury of his peers.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 22, 2014, 02:47:28 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 22, 2014, 02:45:57 PM
I think a big part of the problem is rape outrage exhaustion.  Too many acts that are not "decades of prison sentence" terrible are being called rape, so it's easy to become cynical about the whole concept.

That, plus it's a lot harder to prove than murder.

It is absurd how hard it is to prove.  That NFL case where the guy told his teammate he was going to rape the girl, everybody saw her unconscious, and he proceeded to do so and get her pregnant.  All these facts were well known and it STILL was not enough to convict him.  I mean geez it's crazy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 22, 2014, 02:48:22 PM

With murder, you often have a dead body lying about, and that needs explaining. With rape, the very sex act may not be easy to prove unless the victim gets themselves to a rape kit pronto; and even proving that, doesn't answer the question of consent. It is especially difficult when dealing with ex-spouses.

None of that applies to the current case in the OP, though. Here, there is according to the article actual video proof produced by the perp himself. The fact of rape was established beyond reasonable doubt by a jury of his peers.

True.  I was just discussing rape in general.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2014, 02:49:30 PM
It is absurd how hard it is to prove.  That NFL case where the guy told his teammate he was going to rape the girl, everybody saw her unconscious, and he proceeded to do so and get her pregnant.  All these facts were well known and it STILL was not enough to convict him.  I mean geez it's crazy.

I think that's why there's so much outrage when a case like this comes up, and the guy doesn't get any jail time at all. It's pretty much ignored/impossible to convict most of the time, so when it's a gimme, people want a bit more blood.

CountDeMoney

While the sentence may outrage some, they have to realize that there are two victims here.   :(

LaCroix

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2014, 02:51:18 PMI think that's why there's so much outrage when a case like this comes up, and the guy doesn't get any jail time at all. It's pretty much ignored/impossible to convict most of the time, so when it's a gimme, people want a bit more blood.

isn't that their problem? the man was convicted of rape. the judge examined the facts particular to this one case and ruled that based off what he saw, the husband did not deserve jail time. pure retribution is not always at heart of every criminal sentencing, thank god. there are lots of factors that come into play, such as recidivism. sometimes people disagree with judicial decisions, but that doesn't mean the judge was wrong

merithyn

Quote from: LaCroix on May 22, 2014, 03:11:08 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2014, 02:51:18 PMI think that's why there's so much outrage when a case like this comes up, and the guy doesn't get any jail time at all. It's pretty much ignored/impossible to convict most of the time, so when it's a gimme, people want a bit more blood.

isn't that their problem? the man was convicted of rape. the judge examined the facts particular to this one case and ruled that based off what he saw, the husband did not deserve jail time. pure retribution is not always at heart of every criminal sentencing, thank god. there are lots of factors that come into play, such as recidivism. sometimes people disagree with judicial decisions, but that doesn't mean the judge was wrong

:huh:

For three years, he drugged and raped his wife. She trusted him implicitly, and he raped her... repeatedly... for years....

And you can't see how people might think the guy deserves a few years behind bars? I mean, I realize that it's not rape-rape, since you know, it was his wife and all... but still. Of the 80 years he could have gotten, nothing?

LaCroix

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2014, 03:15:31 PM:huh:

For three years, he drugged and raped his wife. She trusted him implicitly, and he raped her... repeatedly... for years....

And you can't see how people might think the guy deserves a few years behind bars? I mean, I realize that it's not rape-rape, since you know, it was his wife and all... but still. Of the 80 years he could have gotten, nothing?

do you believe in the death penalty?

also, rape is rape - i don't adhere to the "rape-rape" philosophy

Malthus

Quote from: LaCroix on May 22, 2014, 03:11:08 PM

It seems outrageous to me at least. Drugging and raping your wife - then filming the process - is a pretty significant violation of another person's integrity. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 22, 2014, 03:25:04 PM
It seems outrageous to me at least. Drugging and raping your wife - then filming the process - is a pretty significant violation of another person's integrity.

I have yet to read a newspaper article which accurately describes a court decision to the degree necessary for me to become outraged by the decision without first having had the benefit of reading it.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 22, 2014, 03:28:29 PM

I have yet to read a newspaper article which accurately describes a court decision to the degree necessary for me to become outraged by the decision without first having had the benefit of reading it.

Hmm, no link provided, either.  WHAT ARE YOU HIDING MERI???
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: Malthus on May 22, 2014, 03:25:04 PMIt seems outrageous to me at least. Drugging and raping your wife - then filming the process - is a pretty significant violation of another person's integrity.

of course, and the judge imposed a 20-year sentence. and the charge wise was convicted of did not require jail time, or even home detention - so, the judge wasn't exactly giving the husband the lightest sentence possible

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 22, 2014, 03:28:29 PM

Fair enough. So let me rephrase my point: It seems outrageous to me at least. Drugging and raping your wife - then filming the process - is a pretty significant violation of another person's integrity.