News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How old is "too old" to go to grad school?

Started by merithyn, May 20, 2014, 12:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the subject line, doofus.

> 30
> 40
> 50
> 60
70+
It's never too old!

viper37

Also, I would personally advise against studying for the fun of it.  If you want to this, do it because you'll get better job opportunities, not because you'll be learning new stuff.  If all you want is learn, buy the books.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Ide assumes his well-known statist, command economic political views speak for themselves and doesn't belabor the point about more (but smarter) funding for colleges.  Ide blames politicians in D.C. for the worst excesses, because they're the ones who've driven the worst of the inflation (in terms of dollar figures and the devaluation of degrees alike).

Anyway, I'm a lot more interested in the relationship between those numbers, which is from those bar graphs opaque.  Tuition has rarely, if ever, been entirely funded by state taxes.  And even if it were, which it emphatically wasn't, a drop to 71% tax funding from Year Zero (in California, for example) still wouldn't justify 172% tuition hike from Year Zero.

Due to declining state support they need to make up $29 for every $100 they spend; therefore they need to charge $72 more on every $100 of tuition to make up the shortfall.  Sure, makes sense to me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on May 23, 2014, 11:56:42 PM

If you're trying to go full time schools with 22 year old kids, be prepared for a shock.  There are only two kinds of students at this level: those who are out of their league and will leave after half a semester and those who constantly study, day&night, with no life.

:unsure: I mostly sat around the house and watched TOS reruns.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on May 24, 2014, 05:07:03 AM

If you're trying to go full time schools with 22 year old kids, be prepared for a shock.  There are only two kinds of students at this level: those who are out of their league and will leave after half a semester and those who constantly study, day&night, with no life.

I don't know what you studied, but 15hrs of finance class + homework + study, that was impossible for most of us.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on May 24, 2014, 11:22:00 AM

I don't know what you studied, but 15hrs of finance class + homework + study, that was impossible for most of us.

Even allowing for twice as much time being spent on study and coursework outside of the classroom as in the classroom, that's 45 hours a week.  Figure 8 hours a night for sleep (which a lot of students won't get), that's still just 101 hours a week accounted for, leaving 67 hours a week for leisure and recreation. 

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on May 24, 2014, 11:22:00 AM

We only had 6-8h of class a day + study. Later years less. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

:yes: I could easily go for a week without doing anything study-related. Good times.