News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Summer Road Trip Suggestions

Started by Admiral Yi, May 19, 2014, 01:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on May 19, 2014, 04:11:50 PM
Fly to Vienna or other locale and do a road trip through the balkans.  :)

Yeah, driving as foreigner with visibly different ethnic look and no local language skills through the Balkans sounds like a terrific idea.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Talking about summer road trips, anyone here gonna be anywhere on I40 between Memphis and Albuquerque on July 10th and 11th?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

lustindarkness

I'll be going to Moab UT and Ouray CO, on the way there not in a big hurry if anyone wants to meet up. I'll also take recommendations for good places to eat. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on May 20, 2014, 08:56:50 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 19, 2014, 04:11:50 PM
Fly to Vienna or other locale and do a road trip through the balkans.  :)

Yeah, driving as foreigner with visibly different ethnic look and no local language skills through the Balkans sounds like a terrific idea.

I know someone that did this. Its okay. That, along with a trip through Turkey, are the two big road trips I want to take.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

I know a very small Japanese girl who backpacked around the balkans alone.
Apparently they're not so bad these days.
Except for Albania.
██████
██████
██████

lustindarkness

Any of you been to The Grand Canyon? I've been to Canyonlands in the Moab area, and may go there again this year.
Should I take a day away from Moab area to go see the Grand Canyon? North Rim or South?  :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on May 20, 2014, 09:23:57 AM
Except for Albania.

Bring a swimsuit.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 20, 2014, 12:09:19 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 20, 2014, 09:23:57 AM
Except for Albania.

Bring a swimsuit.

A speedo if you want to fit in with the locals.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Savonarola

Quote from: grumbler on May 19, 2014, 03:24:31 PM
Go to Ann Arbor.  See the Big House.  Eat at Zingerman's and the Little Brown Jug (you'll see the actual LBJ in the Big House).  Then go west, hit Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, and some of the little towns along the east shore of Lake Michigan.  Then Chicago.  Then home.  You'll get your karaoke, nudie bars, and nice restaurants along the way.

This would be a good road trip if you like beer; all the little cities along I-94 have some sort of brew pub.  The best are in Marshall (Dark Horse), Battle Creek (Arcadia) and Kalamazoo (Bells).  The St. Julian's winery in Paw Paw is nothing to write home about; the better wineries are much further north in the Old Mission and Lelenau peninsulas.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 20, 2014, 09:33:02 AM
Any of you been to The Grand Canyon? I've been to Canyonlands in the Moab area, and may go there again this year.
Should I take a day away from Moab area to go see the Grand Canyon? North Rim or South?  :hmm:

Grand Canyon would make for an exhausting day trip from Moab.  A few days would be more practical.  South Rim is very touristy, and crowded, but awesome views of course.  Never did the regular North Rim (was still closed for the season when I went through in April 2008), but to give the FJ some exercise coming east in 2011, I drove down to a place called Toroweap on the far western North Rim.  Very remote (and good moderate, not too crazy FJ Cruiser exercise), very awesome, but not as post-card scenic as the more popular areas.  The campsite there is awesomely primitive and scenic.  I was there in June/July, and there was one other couple there camping.  The quiet and solitude was awesome.

If you're out at Moab/Canyonlands with the FJ, have you checked out the Needles district of Canyonlands?  I heard it's got lots of awesome off-road opportunites.

For another possible day-trip from Moab, I'd check out some of the off-roads in Capitol Reef, like Cathedral Valley (didn't get a chance to check it out when I was there, and regret it), or the Burr Trail Road.

Also heard good things about Dinosaur National Monument.

lustindarkness

Thanks Toni, I'm leaning towards more Moab exploring, the trails are just too much fun, and very technical stuff.

It just feels like I am cheating myself of a "Must See" and I will be close enough to it, but I am so short on time. I need to do some more homework.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 19, 2014, 03:20:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 19, 2014, 03:18:22 PM
Last week of May, first two weeks of June.

You can venture farther south then. I'll grill some burgers, buy you a beer and take my shirt off.

Nyah, nyah,  nyah.

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 21, 2014, 09:54:33 AM
Thanks Toni, I'm leaning towards more Moab exploring, the trails are just too much fun, and very technical stuff.

Technical from a driving point of view?

lustindarkness

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2014, 02:00:27 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on May 19, 2014, 03:20:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 19, 2014, 03:18:22 PM
Last week of May, first two weeks of June.

You can venture farther south then. I'll grill some burgers, buy you a beer and take my shirt off.

Nyah, nyah,  nyah.

:yucky:
Quote from: alfred russel on May 28, 2014, 02:03:05 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on May 21, 2014, 09:54:33 AM

Technical from a driving point of view?

Yes.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom